Prediction Markets to STOMP Centralized Manhattan Projects [re: Funding, OpenHW/SW/Nets/...]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:17:24 PDT 2022

Putting massive optical and radio telescopes in
space, rebuilding Arecibo, launching faster probes
out the solar system, space and land based guerrilla
networks, health care, roads, education, research, food,
whatever people want to do...
Prediction Markets are the future of crowdfunding,
and they conveniently obsolete such needless and
inefficient government in the process.

All The Contents Of The Universe, In One Graphic

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/composition-of-the-universe
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/map-of-the-entire-known-universe/
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp/nature-timespiral-the-evolution-of-earth-from-the-big-bang/
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/extreme-temperatures-in-the-universe/
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/30-years-hubble-discoveries/
https://astronomy.com/news/magazine/2021/01/the-beginning-to-the-end-of-the-universe-the-big-crunch-vs-the-big-freeze

Scientists agree that the universe consists of three distinct parts:
everyday visible (or measurable) matter, and two theoretical
components called dark matter and dark energy.

As Visual Capitalists's Mark Belan explains below, these last two are
theoretical because they have yet to be directly measured - but even
without a full understanding of these mysterious pieces to the puzzle,
scientists can infer that the universe’s composition can be broken
down as follows:

Let’s look at each component in more detail.
Dark Energy

Dark energy is the theoretical substance that counteracts gravity and
causes the rapid expansion of the universe. It is the largest part of
the universe’s composition, permeating every corner of the cosmos and
dictating how it behaves and how it will eventually end.
Dark Matter

Dark matter, on the other hand, has a restrictive force that works
closely alongside gravity. It is a sort of “cosmic cement” responsible
for holding the universe together. Despite avoiding direct measurement
and remaining a mystery, scientists believe it makes up the second
largest component of the universe.
Free Hydrogen and Helium

Free hydrogen and helium are elements that are free-floating in space.
Despite being the lightest and most abundant elements in the universe,
they make up roughly 4% of its total composition.
Stars, Neutrinos, and Heavy Elements

All other hydrogen and helium particles that are not free-floating in
space exist in stars.

Stars are one of the most populous things we can see when we look up
at the night sky, but they make up less than one percent—roughly
0.5%—of the cosmos.

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons, but
they are nearly weightless and carry no electrical charge. Although
they erupt out of every chemical reaction, they account for roughly
0.3% of the universe.

Heavy elements are all other elements aside from hydrogen and helium.

Elements form in a process called nucleosynthesis, which takes places
within stars throughout their lifetimes and during their explosive
deaths. Almost everything we see in our material universe is made up
of these heavy elements, yet they make up the smallest portion of the
universe: a measly 0.03%.
How Do We Measure the Universe?

In 2009, the European Space Agency (ESA) launched a space observatory
called Planck to study the properties of the universe as a whole.

Its main task was to measure the afterglow of the explosive Big Bang
that originated the universe 13.8 billion years ago. This afterglow is
a special type of radiation called cosmic microwave background
radiation (CMBR).

Temperature can tell scientists much about what exists in outer space.
When investigating the “microwave sky”, researchers look for
fluctuations (called anisotropy) in the temperature of CMBR.
Instruments like Planck help reveal the extent of irregularities in
CMBR’s temperature, and inform us of different components that make up
the universe.

You can see below how the clarity of CMBR changes over time with
multiple space missions and more sophisticated instrumentation.

What Else is Out There?

Scientists are still working to understand the properties that make up
dark energy and dark matter.

NASA is currently planning a 2027 launch of the Nancy Grace Roman
Space Telescope, an infrared telescope that will hopefully help us in
measuring the effects of dark energy and dark matter for the first
time.

As for what’s beyond the universe? Scientists aren’t sure.

There are hypotheses that there may be a larger “super universe” that
contains us, or we may be a part of one “island” universe set apart
from other island multiverses. Unfortunately we aren’t able to measure
anything that far yet. Unravelling the mysteries of the deep cosmos,
at least for now, remains a local endeavor.