USA 2020 Elections: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 00:47:03 PDT 2022

> Bill Gates has his syringy hands poked in everything these days...

Deep State Cheney's still got their mitts poked in everything...

re 2016: Trump Announces Candidacy, Declares War On Deep State

Liz Cheney Vows To Do 'Whatever It Takes' To Stop Trump

Update 0842ET: Liz Cheney wants Americans to 'unite' across party
lines to prevent Donald Trump from regaining the White House following
her devastating defeat in Wyoming's primary on Tuesday.

Cheney lost to challenger Harriet Hageman, who received 66.3% of the
vote vs. Cheney's 28.9%.

In an early Wednesday statement to NBC, Cheney said she was "thinking
about" a 2024 presidential run - and has launched a new political
organization called "The Great Task," a reference to President Abraham
Lincoln's Gettysburg address.

    Lincoln Project rebrand about to drop. The most overfunded and
media-beloved fringe group in history. https://t.co/nPgoWSroo7
    — Mollie (@MZHemingway) August 17, 2022

"That’s a decision that I’m going to make in the coming months," she
said, adding "It is something that I'm thinking about."

    “I’ll make a decision in the coming months.” — Rep. Liz Cheney
said about possibly running for President. pic.twitter.com/b2SjAYVN2W
    — TODAY (@TODAYshow) August 17, 2022

"I have said since Jan. 6 that I will do whatever it takes to ensure
Donald Trump is never again anywhere near the Oval Office and I mean
it."

    In addition to her new PAC, Cheney will have a public forum for
her campaign against Trump as vice chair of the committee
investigating the former president’s role in the Capitol insurrection
until she leaves Congress in January. Cheney was a rising Republican
star until she stood up to Trump. After she voted to impeach Trump in
the aftermath of the attack on the Capitol by a mob of his supporters,
the political costs for Cheney’s defiance mounted. The Wyoming
Republican Party voted to censure her and asked her to resign. Then
she was removed as the third-ranking  House Republican leader by her
colleagues, who accused her of abandoning the party.  That culminated
in her loss Tuesday to Hageman by a two-to-one margin with half the
votes counted. -Bloomberg

As Bloomberg also notes, Cheney's loss illustrates how strong Trump's
grip is on the Republican party - with just two of 10 House
Republicans who voted to impeach him following the J6 capitol attack
having survived their primaries to make the ballot in November's
general election.

*  *  *

Update 2020ET: In a widely expected outcome, former President Donald
Trump's highest-profile GOP critic, Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, has
been voted out of Congress.

Her challenger, Harriet Hageman, was ahead by more than 30% with 13%
of the votes counted - enough for NBC News to call it for her.
Wyoming Republican Harriet Hageman

Cheney, the daughter of former vice president Dick Cheney, had been
the #3 ranked Republican in the House - easily winning her last
election in 2020. Things changed, however, when she became one of 10
Republicans that voted to impeach Trump - who Democrats accused of
inciting the January 6th riot. She later joined the January 6th
committee, on which she currently services as Vice Chair.

And look at what happened to the rest of the anti-Trump Republicans
who voted to impeach:

    Cheney: Two years ago. I won this primary with 73% of the vote. I
could easily have done the same again. The path was clear. But it
would've required that I go along with president trump's lie about the
2020 election.. That was a path I could not and
    would not take. pic.twitter.com/vRq0Fdz4x1
    — Acyn (@Acyn) August 17, 2022

"Congratulations to Harriet Hageman on her great and very decisive WIN
in Wyoming," Trump said in a statement on Truth Social. "This is a
wonderful result for America, and a complete rebuke of the Unselect
Committee of political Hacks and Thugs. Liz Cheney should be ashamed
of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words
and actions towards others. Now she can finally disappear into the
depths of political oblivion where, I am sure, she will be much
happier than she is right now. Thank you WYOMING!"

*  *  *

If recent polls are any indication, neocon Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) is
about to lose her seat in today's primaries, after going on a
poorly-received crusade against former President Donald Trump.

In one recent poll, Cheney challenger Harriet Hageman - who disputed
the legitimacy of the 2020 US election - was leading Cheney by nearly
30 points. Of note, 70% of Wyoming voters chose Trump in 2020 - the
highest percentage of any state in the nation.

Cheney, 56, sparked conservative backlash against her by choosing to
die on hill of election fraud and the January 6th committee, of which
she's the vice chair. Unsurprisingly, her warmongering father's
laughable campaign ad  in which he said there's 'never been a greater
threat to our republic than Donald Trump' didn't do Liz any favors.

"She’s almost certainly toast," said American University political
scientist, David Barker. "My guess is that she knew that the second
she decided to really join the Jan. 6 committee and pursue the
president in that way."

"She hasn’t just been kind of a passive member of the committee," he
added. "She’s been really leading the whole charge and doing so in the
most provocative and high-profile ways."

Cheney doesn't care

"America cannot remain free if we abandon the truth. The lie that the
2020 presidential election was stolen is insidious — it preys on those
who love their country," she said in a closing argument campaign video
released Thursday. "It is a door Donald Trump opened to manipulate
Americans to abandon their principles, to sacrifice their freedom, to
justify violence, to ignore the rulings of our courts and the rule of
law."

"This is Donald Trump’s legacy, but it cannot be the future of our nation."

At least one supporter held out hope, according to the Associated Press.

"I’m still hopeful that the polling numbers are wrong," said Landon
Brown, a Wyoming state representative and vocal Cheney ally. "It’ll be
a crying shame really if she does lose. It shows just how much of a
stranglehold that Donald Trump has on the Republican Party."

Her likely defeat on Tuesday has raised speculation over her next move
- including a potential run for president in 2024, which she hasn't
ruled out.

If one simply reads the room, however, it's clear that Cheney would be
up against a tide of Trump supporters, who largely view her as a
traitor.

"My sense is that if it is [her plan], she’s going to have a long
wait," said Bill Galston, senior fellow at the Brookings Institution.
"I don’t think that Donald Trump supporters will ever forgive her, nor
do I think they’re going away."

"Where else would they go?"

    Today's the day Wyoming gives Miss Piggy the 👢 pic.twitter.com/PGNwVXEWd2
    — Milenka~ (@MilenaAmit) August 16, 2022