Nomad bridge “hacked” for ~$190million

John Newman germlines at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 09:21:08 PDT 2022

Estimates on loss is somewhere between $150-$190million.

https://cryptosaurus.tech/nomad-token-bridge-raided-for-190-million-in-frenzied-free-for-all/

Lol, the relevant bit from the article -

Nomad’s developers had accidentally pushed a routine update that told the
protocol to process any transaction with the default root hash of “0x00,”
where blockchain networks typically require a specific, unique root as
proof that the transaction is valid.

On a different matter - I normally use my personal mail server, where I’ve
stood up all the bits and pieces and feel much better than I do with
google, and yea of course my shit is running on various VM providers (or
hosted at work - depends on current job situation)…. Anyway, I don’t use
AWS or GCP, and that also makes me feel a tiny fucking bit better. I
realize it’s mostly an illusion of separation but all the same… in any
case, servers are down while I rearchitect everything.  Joined cp with one
of my gmail accounts for now.  Dipping my toe in the list - seems pretty
fucking toxic, ya?

Cheers,
John N