Cryptocurrency: Coin Privacy World Blows Up - Zcash vs Monero vs Others

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:47:02 PDT 2022

In the news lately, lol...
Here's a dump from one side...

Logo
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy

Privacy is a human right. Monero is the digital cash we need to opt
out of an Orwellian financial future. Host of @optoutpod, a
privacy-focused podcast.
United States
sethforprivacy.com
Joined May 2011

    Tweets 12,092
    Following 669
    Followers 14,094
    Likes 58,415

458 Photos and videos

    Tweets
    Tweets & Replies
    Media

Pinned Tweet
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 18
What started out as a dream by the cypherpunks of the 90's has come to
fruition in #Monero, now celebrating its 8th anniversary (a lifetime
for a cryptocurrency!). Cypherpunk, anonymous digital cash enabling
freedom and an open society. #MoneroIsMadeForThis #Moneroversary
8
65
5
238
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
21m
Or, "How we used all that money you gave us to build tools to surveil
you, sell to LE/govs, and make even more money". And you wonder why
Coinbase doesn't support #Monero 🙃 Good riddance, glad they never
added it. Stop giving these people your money, go #NoKYCOnly *today*.
no bullshit bitcoin @nobsbitcoin
4h
Coinbase Releases "Coinbase Intelligence" Surveillance Suite -
Coinbase Know Your Transaction (KYT) - Coinbase Tracer (formerly
Coinbase Analytics) - Customers will include financial institutions,
businesses, governments, and law enforcement agencies
blog.coinbase.com/introducin…
1
7
24
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
9h
Per @jswihart and @zooko's request, I have opened a forum topic
requesting a "special exception" in case the #Monero community decides
to leverage any of Orchard's code-base in a potential future
transition to trustless zk-SNARKS: forum.zcashcommunity.com/t/a…
Allow “special exception” to the Orchard codebase for the Monero Project

Hello, Seth here from the Monero community. I was looking through the
Orchard and Halo 2 code to see what work is being done on this side of
the pond, and I noticed that the Orchard code is published...
forum.zcashcommunity.com
5
1
3
32
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
9h
Please keep in mind this *does not* mean that Monero will necessarily
transition, or even that the broader Monero community wants to explore
a transition to trustless zk-SNARKs. This is just exploratory to find
out now if we will be allowed to use Orchard w/o relicensing Monero.
1
13
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
9h
A key portion of the request is also finding out the way that BOSL is
meant to be applied, and what the Zcash community is truly hoping to
protect against in adopting such a unique and restrictive license
instead of the standard MIT/Apache license in the rest of their
code-base.
2
9
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
5h
@luckytokidoki or another mod/admin, can you please unblock my account
on the forum? I've been locked out for a while now due to some daily
comment limit, and so cannot respond to my own thread.
1
4
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
9h
Still have not heard back about a refund, just FYI. I am hearing quite
bad things about others experience getting refunds, but still no
official way to backup/export emails as well. Sending email does work
again, however, just tested.
1
2
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
12h
When you see very large accounts seemingly shilling #Zcash for no
apparent reason over and over again, dig into what they do in the
space. i.e. @BarrySilbert is one of the original VC investors and has
a *massive* vested interest in pumping the price of $ZEC.
10
17
4
98
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
12h
#Monero literally cannot have these accounts pumping for us
(thankfully) as we don't have VC investors or founder rewards going to
VCs to incentivize them to PnD Monero. More on Zcash investors here:
electriccoin.co/blog/continu…
Continued Funding and Transparency - Electric Coin Company

Our mission is to create open financial technology with zero-knowledge
privacy, for everyone in the world to use. The first […]
electriccoin.co
1
3
33
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
12h
This link is also supposed to show the entire list of investors
(linked from blog posts by @ElectricCoinCo) but has been taken down
for some reason: electriccoin.co/team/#invest… Does anyone know of an
updated complete list of investors in @zcash?
Team - Electric Coin Company - Electric Coin Company

We're a diverse team — scientists, cryptographers, activists,
educators, policy wonks and discoverers — on a mission to give
everyone on Earth an open, inclusive financial system. We're a
passionate...
electriccoin.co
3
1
18
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
12h
These investors hold a collective 1.65% of the total supply of Zcash:
electriccoin.co/blog/continu…
3
1
21
Seth For Privacy retweeted
𝔻𝕚𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕣 (Premix/Postmix) @Diverter_NoKYC
20h
1. (Sadly) Takes a pair to write this as a veritable OG bitcoiner 2.
Tool is a tool. Freedom/sovereignty maxi's understand this intimately.
3. My reasons wrt XMR have nothing to do with tribalism. I pay for my
Icelandic VPS's in XMR, I take XMR donations (and hodl them 😱) 1/3
Ragnar @Ragnarly
Apr 27
📰 My latest blog post: "Secret Bitcoiner Users of Monero – Come Out
Of The Shadows. Five reasons you should affirm your usage and support
of #Monero" Read: ragnarly.com/secret-bitcoine…
2
5
1
55
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
22h
I hate retweeting myself, but easier to do this than a separate
thread. My response on how the #Zcash vs #Monero debate usually
ignores reality and focuses on the *potential* privacy of Zcash
instead of the real-world privacy of Monero for most users:
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Replying to @kyledcollins
The crux of the issue is two-fold: 1) Zcash is oversold as a tool for
privacy when 97% of TXs are just as transparent as Bitcoin 2) Monero
is undersold when it has had *immense* battle testing in DNMs and
ransomware campaigns w/ zero cases of tracing
5
11
2
84
Seth For Privacy retweeted
Justin Ehrenhofer 🎂🏳️‍🌈 @JEhrenhofer
Apr 27
I am going to start including @SamouraiWallet Tx0 transactions in my
monthly private transaction comparisons. They aren't the same as
Monero or Zcash transactions that hide the sender, receiver, and
amount. But it's as close as I can get to indicate approximate privacy
adoption
5
3
61
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Couldn't have said it better myself, must read blog post from
@Ragnarly. One of the few things standing between more people and
their usage of an immensely powerful tool in #Monero is tribalism. If
you're using Monero today, tell people + let them make a well-informed
decision.
Ragnar @Ragnarly
Apr 27
📰 My latest blog post: "Secret Bitcoiner Users of Monero – Come Out
Of The Shadows. Five reasons you should affirm your usage and support
of #Monero" Read: ragnarly.com/secret-bitcoine…
3
4
50
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
👀 Usually very impressed with his takes on things, and glad that his
massive audience will get a deep-dive into #Monero.
Coin Bureau (guy.eth)
@coinbureau
Apr 27
Just finished the disclaimer for my latest project review. Can you
tell which #crypto I am covering?
Show this thread
4
3
74
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Zcash choosing to lock up the implementation of HALO2 (Orchard) behind
a restrictive license preventing Monero from adopting the tech for at
least a year says all you need to know -- Zcash cares more about their
first-movers advantage than broad privacy in the ecosystem.
5
2
3
34
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
I'm still hopeful we can replace ring-signatures long-term with
something like trustless zk-SNARKS (and will be writing a blog post on
the topic soonTM), but the behavior and choices of ECC and Zcash
always give me pause in utilizing their tech.
1
2
21
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Ring-signatures provide *excellent* privacy guarantees against mass
surveillance and even targeted surveillance in the absence of
off-chain data, but can break down under extremely targeted
surveillance coupled with off-chain data (like address re-use or KYC
exchange usage).
1
1
1
17
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
And even in those worst case scenarios, someone targeting you *cannot*
reveal amounts of addresses involved in transactions in any way.
Monero uses a holistic approach to privacy, and does *not* just rely
on ring-sigs to protect users alone.
1
1
25
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
The Monero community has always been extremely transparent about where
and how the approaches to privacy can break down, mostly under
extremely targeted attacks coupled with off-chain data. A bit
outdated, but excellent series on these by @JEhrenhofer: yt
playlist?list=PL…
Breaking Monero
youtube.com
1
24
Show this thread
Load more

Logo
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy

Privacy is a human right. Monero is the digital cash we need to opt
out of an Orwellian financial future. Host of @optoutpod, a
privacy-focused podcast.
United States
sethforprivacy.com
Joined May 2011

    Tweets 12,092
    Following 669
    Followers 14,094
    Likes 58,415

458 Photos and videos

    Tweets
    Tweets & Replies
    Media

Load newest
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
"I’m sure there are well meaning #Zcash contributors with good and
pure objectives. I am also sure Zcash doesn’t protect against
surveillance (for 97% of TXs). It sort of works, in some cases, for
now. I wish I was wrong, but I'm not."
Josh Swihart 🛡 @jswihart
Apr 27
I’m sure there are well meaning Monero contributors with good and pure
objectives. I’m am also sure Monero doesn’t protect against
surveillance. It sort of works, in some cases, for now, but not for
long. I hope I’m wrong, but not likely.
4
4
2
66
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Was just starting to get excited about the upcoming trustless
zk-SNARKS in HALO2/Orchard, but then I remembered that a user's
privacy is not the objective in Zcash. Cool tech, treated like a
science experiment instead of a life-or-death tool.
2
1
27
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Monero protected sender/receiver/amount in 693,425 TXs in March, while
Zcash protected only 4,237. Monero had *5x* the privacy-preserving
transactions *per day* than Zcash had *all month*. Just let that sink
in. Defaults. Matter.
1
3
40
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 27
Backup account is live on @joinmastodon now:
@sethforprivacy at liberdon.com liberdon.com/web/@sethforpri… Not
planning on posting there ATM, but will look into bots/integrations
for crossposting ASAP and keep it up to date as a fall-back in case
Twitter goes (more) nuts.
Seth For Privacy (@sethforprivacy at liberdon.com)

0 Posts, 394 Following, 2 Followers · Privacy is a human right. Monero
is the digital cash we need to opt out of an Orwellian financial
future. Host of the Opt Out podcast, a privacy-focused podcast....
liberdon.com
1
11
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
Favorite launcher as well, can't get enough of the simplicity and
minimalism here. Hats off to @tanujnotes for his work on it, consider
donating if you use and enjoy Olauncher as well:
github.com/tanujnotes/Olaunc… (P.S. - he accepts #Bitcoin and #Monero
directly 😉)
Henry 🇺🇦 @henryistakentoo
Apr 26
Loving my new homescreen! Olauncher, from F-Droid, thanks to
@sethforprivacy for the rec: github.com/tanujnotes/Olaunc…
5
3
16
Seth For Privacy retweeted
Justin Ehrenhofer 🎂🏳️‍🌈 @JEhrenhofer
Apr 25
Monero payments will soon be coming to Mullvad: teddit.net/r/mullvadvpn/comm…
Monero support will soon be added to Mullvad

Posted in r/mullvadvpn by u/MullvadNew • 29 points and 5 comments
reddit.com
8
19
4
126
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
Had a great chat with @FenixAmmunition at #BANB2022 about accepting
#Bitcoin and #Monero via @BtcpayServer, very glad to see them diving
in! Cypherpunk money for high quality ammo is an awesome (and
powerful) pairing of asymmetric force multipliers. Monero adoption
📈📈📈
Fenix '3D Print Deez Nuts Biden' Ammunition @FenixAmmunition
Apr 26
We are now accepting Bitcoin via BTCPay, hosted on our own server
thanks to @nodl_it and @SamouraiWallet! ETH payments still available
via Coinbase Commerce. We will be adding Monero as an option as soon
as we can get around to it.
Show this thread
2
17
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
Apparently @RealCTemplar is shutting down:
ctemplar.com/ctemplar-is-shu… Apologies to all of those I recommended
to use CTemplar, as I know this migration process off of them will be
a PITA. I recommend @ProtonMail (what I use) or @TutanotaTeam as
excellent alternatives.
CTemplar is shutting down - CTemplar
ctemplar.com
9
7
2
39
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
I also reached out to @RealCTemplar support, as I pre-paid for a year
of service via Monero and now will not get to use 8mo of it due to
their premature shutdown. I'll report back here if I get a yes/no to
the refund, but I absolutely expect one.
1
11
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
Main things confusing me: 1) No mention of *why* 2) No emails to users
so far 3) No announcement on @RealCTemplar Twitter account 4) Blog
post is incredibly sparse on details
3
14
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
5) They disabled sending emails for all accounts today WTAF is going
on here, @RealCTemplar, you owe the people who helped bring you
customers and who helped to on-board others to what seemed like a good
service an explanation *at least*.
4
1
10
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
1/ Some pretty fascinating results from these polls, seems there has
been a large shift over the last year and #Monero is dominating as an
MoE among respondents. Let's dive into the results, very surprised to
see Monero's SoV sentiment rapidly improving over the last year!
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Polls below, would love to hear in comments *why* you are where you
are in the picture below today, and how/why that may have changed.
Curious to see the results, and RTs appreciated to get a broader
audience!
Show this thread
3
1
2
26
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
2/ Over 65% of respondents primarily (or only!) use Monero when
transacting, up from ~50% a year ago. The transition from Bitcoin to
Monero as an MoE is one I've been harping on and one that seems
inevitable due to Bitcoin's lack of fungibility and simple privacy.
2
1
5
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
3/ ~75% of respondents are using Monero in some way, up from 60% a
year ago. While only 10% are using Monero for handling toxic change,
they add to the user-base that builds liquidity and learns to value
Monero's MoE properties over time.
1
3
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
4/ Only 23% of respondents are "Bitcoin-only", down from 40% a year
ago and matching the trends I have seen when interacting with
Bitcoiners. Very few who care about freedom are sticking to the
"Bitcoin-only" meme when it comes down to it, with the net result
being "Monero-only"
1
5
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
5/ The biggest shift over the past year has been in those valuing
Monero as a SoV, seeing 38% of respondents using Monero exclusively
for MoE & SoV, up from 25% a year ago. Once a user realizes the power
of fungible money, they also see the benefits of fungibility on SoV.
1
4
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
6/ The complete reversal of "Bitcoin-only" to "Monero-only" was the
most surprising, as my gut feeling is that more people have shifted
from "Bitcoin-only" to "save in Bitcoin, spend in Monero" only. But
the sentiment on Monero as a SoV seems to be rapidly shifting.
1
7
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
7/7 Obviously this is a relatively small survey and my followers are
likely Monero-biased, but interesting information, especially compared
to the "last year" poll, specifically.
3
9
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 26
Bonus - Shoutout to @x218935 for the idea of the poll, and check out
his results here: x218935/status/1… @heady_wook also made an awesome
combination of my results and those of @x218935 here:
HEADY_WOOK @heady_wook
Apr 26
Replying to @x218935
Interesting. Looks like we have samples of two different populations
here 🧐 I added the two samples & combined the middle two categories
since they were not mutually exclusive. Looks like most people use
bitcoin & monero (n=286).
2
6
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 25
More great info on how dynamic block sizes + dynamic fees function in
Monero, and how miners are incentivized to keep block sizes as small
as possible while supporting limited time of rush on-chain:
monero.stackexchange.com/que…
How does the dynamic blocksize and the dynamic fees work together in Monero?

This mechanism is unique to Monero because it's the only
cryptocurrency to have both blocksize and transaction fee dictated by
an algorithm, how was this achieved and what is the rationale behind
s...
monero.stackexchange.com
16
Show this thread
Load more

Logo
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy

Privacy is a human right. Monero is the digital cash we need to opt
out of an Orwellian financial future. Host of @optoutpod, a
privacy-focused podcast.
United States
sethforprivacy.com
Joined May 2011

    Tweets 12,092
    Following 669
    Followers 14,094
    Likes 58,415

458 Photos and videos

    Tweets
    Tweets & Replies
    Media

Load newest
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 25
#DidYouKnow that the more users we onboard to #Monero and the more
people transact on-chain, the *cheaper* everyone's transactions will
be? monero.stackexchange.com/que… One of the beautiful and unique
things that the tail-emission + dynamic block size enables for digital
cash.
3
11
1
60
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy retweeted
Cake Wallet
@cakewallet
Apr 25
We gave away $10,000 in crypto at the #Bitcoin conference in Miami. We
gave people a choice to accept their winnings in either #Bitcoin or
#Monero. Over 65% of the attendees at the conference chose #Monero.
That's right... at a #BITCOIN conference, people chose #Monero.
20
61
2
267
Seth For Privacy retweeted
anhdres 🌿 @anhdres
Apr 25
Gotta love this response from @IrinaHeaver about @monero. One of those
moments when you hear someone saying what you think better than
yourself. Full video at ytwatch?v=AlRBZm61…
19
109
15
402
13,674
Seth For Privacy retweeted
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Polls below, would love to hear in comments *why* you are where you
are in the picture below today, and how/why that may have changed.
Curious to see the results, and RTs appreciated to get a broader
audience!
14
11
1
44
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Polls below, would love to hear in comments *why* you are where you
are in the picture below today, and how/why that may have changed.
Curious to see the results, and RTs appreciated to get a broader
audience!
14
11
1
44
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Where are you now in the picture above?
38% ⬅️⬅️
29% ⬅️
10% ➡️
23% ➡️➡️
161 votes • Final results
2
5
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Where you a year ago in the picture above?
24% ⬅️⬅️
25% ⬅️
11% ➡️
39% ➡️➡️
168 votes • Final results
2
1
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
*Where were you
Seth For Privacy retweeted
Opt Out Podcast @optoutpod
Apr 24
Unfortunately had trouble getting my last scheduled guest for Season 2
on this week, but am going to push again to try and get them on for
next week! After that will likely take a break for a few weeks to prep
and plan for Season 3. In the meantime - what was your fav ep of S2?
4
1
16
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Having more on/off-ramps from other cryptocurrencies to #Monero is a
great thing. Not sure why people are mad at listing other
cryptocurrencies paired with Monero, this drives up Monero liquidity
and enables people on other chains to slowly learn about and use
Monero over time.
Haveno @HavenoDEX
Apr 24
We have finally published list of Crypto assets that will be available
on #Haveno at launch: #Bitcoin (#BTC) #Ether (#ETH) #BitcoinCash
(#BCH) #Litecoin (#LTC) #Zcash (#ZEC) More will follow and people will
be able soon to suggest their favourite crypto
haveno.exchange/faq/#what-cu…
8
13
111
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
👀
Haveno @HavenoDEX
Apr 24
The first commits are being pushed to the haveno-ui repository, which
will host #Haveno's user interface, funded by the #Monero community!
github.com/haveno-dex/haveno…
11
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 24
Second shout out is to @JEhrenhofer, who took me in, showed me ways I
could contribute as a non-dev, sparked a passion and critical eye for
#Monero in #BreakingMonero, and has poured countless hours into Monero
both in the spotlight and behind the scenes. So grateful for him!
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 20
Who is one person in #Monero or #Bitcoin that you're thankful for and
why? Post in a reply below 👇 I'll retweet this once a day for the
next week and share the people and projects that have impacted me so
much in the space.
1
42
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 23
Ultimately, #Monero is not a "shitcoin" but an immensely powerful tool
for freedom. It makes design decisions that are different than
#Bitcoin and which have overwhelmingly advantageous results, but do
have some tradeoffs that people should be aware of:
sethforprivacy.com/posts/dis…
15
34
2
176
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 23
Every freedom maximalist will end up in one of those 4 groups above,
and I would argue inevitably one of the left two. Monero is an
absolutely superior MoE to Bitcoin, and the "Bitcoin as savings,
Monero as checking" will be the entry for most Bitcoiners to Monero.
2
3
1
42
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
First shoutout is for an absolutely unsung hero in the #Monero
community, dEBRUYNE. They have spent *countless* hours moderating
Reddit, responding on Reddit/Stack Exchange with insightful and
helpful info, and being one of the most helpful resources as I learned
about Monero.
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 20
Who is one person in #Monero or #Bitcoin that you're thankful for and
why? Post in a reply below 👇 I'll retweet this once a day for the
next week and share the people and projects that have impacted me so
much in the space.
2
3
60
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
Much of what Monero is today, many of the people who are using it
today, and much of the community is owed to their tireless efforts
over the years without compensation, reward, or publicity. If you run
into them, give them a thanks for all of their hard work!
1
26
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
Also:
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
Replying to @sethforprivacy
And only one dev and no external audits 🥲
Show this thread
5
1
1
16
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
And only one dev and no external audits 🥲
4
1
1
17
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
While the content was good and necessary, really not proud of the tone
and approach I took to expose another scam in the space. Sorry about
that, and will be trying to stay more neutral in tone (but honest!)
while sharing things I seem important (like scams to avoid).
25
2
2
94
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 22
Very much looking forward to more content from @DarkDotFail, they've
been an absolutely essential part of how I keep up with trends in DNMs
etc., and very curious to see the focus of their news website. What
kind of content are you hoping to see from them?
dark.fail @DarkDotFail
Apr 21
It's my 4th year here, providing original reporting on privacy and
cyber matters. Thank you readers. This Monday I launch my independent
news website, years in the making. Want a free one year subscription?
DM or email me your Protonmail within the next 24 hours. Hiring
writers.
3
15
Load more

Logo
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy

Privacy is a human right. Monero is the digital cash we need to opt
out of an Orwellian financial future. Host of @optoutpod, a
privacy-focused podcast.
United States
sethforprivacy.com
Joined May 2011

    Tweets 12,092
    Following 669
    Followers 14,094
    Likes 58,415

458 Photos and videos

    Tweets
    Tweets & Replies
    Media

Load newest
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
If a project has piss-poor documentation, their website is full of
errors and out of date information, their dev team cannot be bothered
to update a markdown file used for pre-mine "transparency", and who's
code is poorly commented - maybe you should be skeptical of their
claims?
8
4
109
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
Oh and don't forget a history of abject code plagiarism, implementing
code on mainnet without audits and with false claims of "improvements"
that's also plagiarized, has $26mil in pre-mine but can't be bothered
to perform 3rd-party audits, etc. How many red flags does it take?!?
7
1
47
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
8/ DERO either knowingly (or unknowingly) claims that transaction data
must be decrypted to be verified, something that is absolutely false.
Monero, Zcash, etc. all do verification without revealing amounts or
transaction details -- verification on encrypted data is quite easy.
4
2
2
59
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
9/ Maybe best of all as someone who has a networking background, DERO
claims to do TLS over UDP instead of TCP, something that is literally
impossible and pointless. TLS (read: comms encryption) can only be
done via TCP as you have to have a handshake and state for encryption.
5
2
1
55
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
10/ Side-note -- their code seems to just do TLS over TCP contrary to
their claims. There is a rarely used way to do a form of TLS via
datagram packets, DTLS, but they do not mention DTLS in their
repositories or docs.
3
2
54
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
11/ Their example of "TLS over UDP" shows a Wireshark screenshot of a
TCP packet (one using TLS and one using regular HTTP over TCP), yet
again showing they have no idea what they're talking about:
2
2
50
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
12/ Their whitepaper link 404s, so I couldn't even view it:
dero.io/attachment/Whitepape…
5
2
1
65
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
13/ They claim their network has no soft/hard-forks, but they are in
the process of a "coin swap" to their new network, something far worse
than a soft/hard-fork as it's an entirely new chain:
docs.dero.io/rtd_pages/basic… (Also have to love the myriad
misspellings and poor grammar)
3
2
60
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
14/14 Enough of my time wasted on this, but if you see projects
claiming to solve all known issues with encryption, privacy, smart
contracts, security, etc. you should run as fast you can. Grandiose
claims are *always* massive red flags and inevitably money grabs.
6
2
1
85
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
Fun extra tidbit -- all of their repos still say that their new
"Stargate" FHE blockchain is in testnet, but they're simultaneously
telling people to swap funds through centralized services to this new
testnet today: github.com/deroproject/deroh… Make it make sense!
GitHub - deroproject/derohe: DERO Homomorphic Encryption Blockchain Protocol

DERO Homomorphic Encryption Blockchain Protocol. Contribute to
deroproject/derohe development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com
2
3
1
50
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
Excellent additional details and tested aspects of the lies of DERO
here, very helpful to get a picture of a few of the other outlandish
claims (read: lies): reubenyap/status… Thanks for digging in as well,
@reubenyap!
Reuben Yap @reubenyap
Mar 4
To @JoyRaptor I'm assuming this is an honest question and will take it
as such. Indeed, I don't use the word 'lie' lightly and I had
cross-checked and verified myself before making these claims on $DERO.
Show this thread
6
3
41
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
One clarification -- the docs and website are misleading, and
apparently DERO does not use FHE, but instead uses PHE, taken from
AnonZether without credit or attribution:
github.com/ConsenSys/anonymo… Thus their HE approach does seem viable
in theory, though I can't validate impl.
GitHub - ConsenSys/anonymous-zether: A private payment system for
Ethereum-based blockchains, with...

A private payment system for Ethereum-based blockchains, with no
trusted setup. - GitHub - ConsenSys/anonymous-zether: A private
payment system for Ethereum-based blockchains, with no trusted setup.
github.com
1
2
27
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy retweeted
ProtonMail
@ProtonMail
Apr 21
In times of growing surveillance and censorship, Proton’s goal is to
ensure privacy and freedom of speech for all. That's why we're
announcing an exciting new Proton experience over Tor, and are
supporting @torproject as a Green Onion Member. Read more:
protonmail.com/blog/updated-…
11
137
7
698
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
One of the biggest takeaways for me from #Monerotopia22 and #BANB2022
was that the momentum behind the scenes for #Monero is immense and
largely going unnoticed. There is a huge and rapidly growing user-base
for Monero that doesn't talk about it but are already using the tools.
5
15
74
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
Every merchant or project I talked to either accepts Monero, is
working on accepting/integrating it, or wanted to learn how to
accept/integrate it. The few people who didn't already use Monero
asked for more info and wanted to get started immediately.
1
11
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
Many people were interested in learning how to mine Monero, even at a
large scale. Once people grasp the "just press send" aspect of using
Monero while preserving privacy, it's adoption by freedom-loving
people is inevitable. Exciting times, and so much to do.
4
27
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
P.S -- there are *many* prominent Bitcoiners that are already Monero
users (and often power users) behind the scenes. The more I get to
know the more surprised I am at how many of them won't publicly get
behind Monero (yet) but see it's value to their own freedom and
privacy.
1
2
1
36
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
TIL I am a "looney tunes fudster" 😅 It's been a while since I kicked
a hornets nest, good to keep me on my toes and keep learning new
things. Never a dull moment in cryptocurrency...
7
37
Seth For Privacy retweeted
OXT @oxt_btc
Apr 21
Introducing the $1 Fee Estimator, a new Bitcoin fee estimator
algorithm that is easy, cheap and usable on almost any full node. In
less than 200 lines of code. #Bitcoin #Dev
code.samourai.io/oxt/one_dol…
OXT / one_dollar_fee_estimator

code.samourai.io
code.samourai.io
2
29
8
93
Show this thread
Seth For Privacy @sethforprivacy
Apr 21
*most of their grandiose claims They make far too many grandiose
claims for me to spend to time refuting every one, but I covered the
most obvious ones here.
3
2
32