U.S. lawmakers say they have 'serious concerns' about face-scan contractor

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 13:53:07 PDT 2022

https://news.yahoo.com/u-lawmakers-serious-concerns-face-185531097.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lawmakers in the U.S. House of Representatives have opened an investigation into the identity verification contractor ID.me, saying that they have "serious concerns" about the efficacy, privacy and security of technology it provides to 10 federal agencies.

A letter, first reported by the Washington Post, was sent by Representatives Carolyn Maloney, chair of the House Oversight Committee, and Jim Clyburn, the Democratic whip, to ID.me chief executive Blake Hall. It was dated Thursday.

The letter reflects unease over the use of facial recognition software to secure important transactions, including those with the Internal Revenue Service, amid concerns about privacy violations and inaccuracy.

For its part, ID.me touted its efforts in helping U.S. agencies fight government benefits fraud by foreign criminal gangs.

"We look forward to providing important information to the Committee on how ID.me has expanded access to government for disadvantaged Americans, including individuals who do not have credit history, are underbanked or are without a home," the company said in a statement.