[ot][spam][crazy] The Trials of Controlling a Programmer

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:26:07 PDT 2022

here's where i'm at:

- it is very hard to move forward on the rtlsdr logic analyser. tiny steps
involving dense amnesiatic spasma.

- I flashed the oscilloscope with tormod's open source firmware and it
won't leave dfu mode after flashing. It might be a third party variant,
which there's a little documentation on. I could try the non-gcc firmware
which would involve running windows. I could also try to debug the
bootloader. I could maybe try reflashing the bootloader.

- I contacted a makerspace around the issue. Somebody reviewed the
schematic and recommended I add 200nF caps to the power pins on the socket.
We also found there may still be commercial flashers that support my chip.

- To test actually using my change to serialice to support my board,
serialice assumes an x86 host to run qemu on. So, I tried to install x86_64
debian on my aarch64 host inside qemu, planning to nest them. Unfortunately
the debian installer takes forever and then crashes, running into strange
corruptions.

It's hard to move forward on this, and has started engaging my issues
poorly. It used to be a pleasant project that mostly avoided the issues,
partly because the bios test cycle is pretty rote. It might be nice to get
back to that test cycle just using the internal flasher of the board, even
though that means rebooting every change.

Adding the caps to the flasher makes sense. I also realised I'm unsure what
model flash chips I'm using and which of the flashrom probes they're
supposed to pass; it would be good to nail that down.

Other things. Confusion.