OpenSSH Bravely Addresses the Quantum Threat

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 14:54:52 PDT 2022

This is really great news. I imagine some people have tried for many years
to make this happen.

> * ssh(1), sshd(8): use the hybrid Streamlined NTRU Prime + x25519 key
>   exchange method by default ("sntrup761x25519-sha512 at openssh.com").
>   The NTRU algorithm is believed to resist attacks enabled by future
>   quantum computers and is paired with the X25519 ECDH key exchange
>   (the previous default) as a backstop against any weaknesses in
>   NTRU Prime that may be discovered in the future. The combination
>   ensures that the hybrid exchange offers at least as good security
>   as the status quo.

This  a good time to learn to configure accepted algorithms in one's ssh
daemons and clients. I think an old trick an attacker could perform was to
mutate the handshake so as to reject high strength protocols. The client
would then silently try lower strength ones, without warning the user.

The various options are shown in `man ssh_config` for clients and `man
sshd_config` for servers.