[ot][spam][crazy] The Trials of Controlling a Programmer

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 17:59:18 PDT 2022

There's a specific branch of flashrom for this setup. I switched to it and
tried it, but the results were the same. It looks pretty old.

There is a quirk going on where the wiki says the new serial firmware is
supposed to get 2Mbaud, whereas it's only communicating for me with
11kbaud, but I may have missed something.

I added some debugging output to flashrom and saw the chip manufacturer and
id are reading as 0xFF both, as is data. When I glanced at the detection
code earlier with the oscilloscope, it was inverting the data read, so 0xFF
may mean the data lines are simply not powered.

Something I could maybe pursue next might be using the scope to see if any
pins on the chip are outputting anything at all.

I could also try poking at the clock pin more. Even if it's quirky, it's
good practice getting comfortable with the scope, and maybe I can learn the
quirks.

Might also be meaningful to look up the sample rate of this scope and see
if using a pi or an arduino as a logic analyser could increase it -- seems
pretty unlikely though. I'm thinking an RTL-SDR would work as a high-rate
logic probe, but I may be way off base.