Use not TOR

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 20:32:37 PDT 2021

On 9/28/21, zeynepaydogan <zeynepaydogan at protonmail.com> wrote:
> Use a no-logs VPN.

No logs is often bullshit... VPN's may honestly launch with no logs,
but soon turn to keeping logs, or logging and trojaning and NITting
requested users by/for GovCorp, etc. Either way, you have zero insurance,
audit, or inspection that anything they say regarding logs is true.
There is also no penalty, if operators are not well known big public persons
the VPN's just shutdown, rebrand, reboot.

Assuming that everything is logged forever is the
better starting point.

> The Tor project can’t help anonymously.

Software tor is good at some things.
But quite bad at other things.
Even the NSA said "Tor Stinks" not all of the time, and
that was based at least 10 years ago... today's NSA
can say that tor stinks even worse at protecting
users due to NSA and other attackers advancements in
Traffic Analysis, Sybil, etc. Meanwhile tor's fundamental
design and deployment has stayed 100% the same since day 1.
NSA etc +1, Tor 0.

> Don’t respect a community where

Don't respect a Tor Project that
- lies false advertising to its users on its homepage
- defrauds buyer of $2M worth of NFT by falsely claiming it was first onion
- refuses to answer records requests from its userbase
- kicks out contributors observers commentators for having different
sociopolitical perspectives, exposing inconvienient truths, etc
- bricks up and censors all its public comms channels
- removes features being actively used by its users, claiming
it has sole use-case authority over its userbase and users,
while providing bogus orthagonal and non-detailed arguments
to support removal
- etc, etc, etc... read all the mail lists

> in 2014, the daily log was leaked.

What exactly, with links, are you talking about?

> Tor hasn't made a statement about it.
> Tor and the team leader didn't answer my questions.

Tor Project Inc, its employees, and core "community" of
hangers-on, crumb gobbling handout chasers, wokesters,
and opportunist$-by-association... haven't made statements
or answered a lot of questions a lot of people have asked.

> And some of them work in highest ranked position on Google.

Google are known spies and apologists for Governments,
search results distorters, undue influencers, Youtube Censors, etc.

> the Tor community team

Partisan, self-dealing, non-independant, censorious.
Good luck trying to ombud anything to them.

> TOR may be transferring daily-log to an institution

Tor has "partnered" with, been silent on, with such institutions
like EDU's and research labs, and been called out for it in the past.
Even some of them institutions were working to exploit users, even
working for or giving exploit tech or de-anon'd users to governments.

Tor also have a laughable "ethical research" policy, who
have on numerous occaisions "convinced" public researchers
to stop their proposed or works in progress, but all other attackers
happily ignore and never write papers or full disclosure about, thus
users remain in the public dark about details what tor really
can and cannot do, what attacks are being attempted against them.
And Tor Project whitewashes any remaining "coordinated release"
through their professionally managed and massaged comms and
prop channels.

After all, Tor Project employees could lose their $Millions
in government and donor funding if a more balanced
picture was made, thus reducing the paychecks to
zero, the home mortgages to default, etc.
So is there any conflict of interest there, you decide.

Tor the Project, and tor the software, are different but
related and interdependent things. That makes some
users and analysts uncomfortable.

There are hardly any operational encrypted anonymous
overlay networks from which to choose. Some exist for
dedicated purposes like messaging, crypto, storage etc,
but almost none are a general purpose transport net,
or net for running existing IPv6 applications, etc.

All thus, there should be new softwares made and
launched from new and anonymous un-Projects.
Use parts of designs from existing projects as needed.

That is the cypherpunk way.

Because... "Tor Stinks  -- NSA".