Hacks: MG's OMG Keyboard Spy Cable Beams Your Keystrokes Over a Mile Away

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 00:15:18 PDT 2021

https://www.vice.com/en/article/k789me/omg-cables-keylogger-usbc-lightning

It looks like a Lightning cable, it works like a Lightning cable, and
I can use it to connect my keyboard to my Mac. But it is actually a
malicious cable that can record everything I type, including
passwords, and wirelessly send that data to a hacker who could be more
than a mile away. This is the new version of a series of penetration
testing tools made by the security researcher known as MG. MG
previously demoed an earlier version of the cables for Motherboard at
the DEF CON hacking conference in 2019. Shortly after that, MG said he
had successfully moved the cables into mass production, and
cybersecurity vendor Hak5 started selling the cables. But the more
recent cables come in new physical variations, including Lightning to
USB-C, and include more capabilities for hackers to play with.

"There were people who said that Type C cables were safe from this
type of implant because there isn't enough space. So, clearly, I had
to prove that wrong. :)," MG told Motherboard in an online chat. The
OMG Cables, as they're called, work by creating a Wi-Fi hotspot itself
that a hacker can connect to from their own device. From here, an
interface in an ordinary web browser lets the hacker start recording
keystrokes. The malicious implant itself takes up around half the
length of the plastic shell, MG said. MG said that the new cables now
have geofencing features, where a user can trigger or block the
device's payloads based on the physical location of the cable. "It
pairs well with the self-destruct feature if an OMG Cable leaves the
scope of your engagement and you do not want your payloads leaking or
being accidentally run against random computers," he said. "We tested
this out in downtown Oakland and were able to trigger payloads at over
1 mile," he added. He said that the Type C cables allow the same sort
of attacks to be carried out against smartphones and tablets. Various
other improvements include being able to change keyboard mappings, the
ability to forge the identity of specific USB devices, such as
pretending to be a device that leverages a particular vulnerability on
a system.