DAL Emergency Calls The US State Dept [re: TLSA lookup]

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 13:54:56 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 4:24 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 15:45:59 -0400
> Karl Semich <0xloem at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > >         furthermore
> > >
> > >         telnet stimson.state.gov 25
> > >         telnet: can't connect to remote host (169.252.4.132): No route
> > > host
> > >
> > >         telnet stimson.state.gov 80
> > >         connects
> > >
> > >         so, at face value, nothing is listening on port 25
> > >

> > 0.o is that a real log?
> >
> > The error message pertains to the host, not the port.
>
>         that's what busybox's telnet says. Python says
>
>         socket.error: [Errno 113] No route to host
>
>         so it looks like the idiotic message "no route to host" means :
> can't connect to x.x.x.x:port -- so the error message pertains to the
> host:port combination and it's badly worded.

usually "no route to host" is from the x.x.x.x but is unrelated to the port.

it's possible it could appear related to the port due to random timing

or something could be intentionally triggering the not-usually-port-related
error only attempts to connect to the port were made

maybe routing has changed in the past ten years?