List Archival

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 08:59:39 PDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 5:46 PM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021, 11:04 AM Stefan Claas <spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I give you now some ideas you may think about, or not.
>>
>> As you may know modern sequoia-pgp (Testimonials by
>> Mr Zimmermann) no longer uses the stupid WoT. Stupid
>> keyservers like SKS are thankfully also dead.
>

> Do you call them stupid, and say thankfully, because you've been hurt in the ways you describe further in your email?

I call not people stupid, I call the WoT stupid. People were
personally hurt and got
in rage, when things happened to their pub keys. One person, I remember, was
short before ending his work in the ecosystem because of that.

>> A person, say a left-winger uploads his pub key to SKS and asks a
>

> How are left-right politics relevant?

As you may know grass-roots organizations, like Mr. Zimmermann
mentioned once, are the reason why he created PGP to protect them.

With (green party) left-wingers I mean for example people in Germany,
which act differently like say a conservative patriot, who would probably
use not PGP or crypto. Look for example at EFF, they are also not
considered as conservative etc. And those people I call left-wingers
would (I strongly assume) not be happy to be in some sort affiliated
with persons, like in my example, when this would be public.

> Is the backing of your arguments that governments are greater sources of trust than communities?

No, of course not. What I described with the CA example or eIDAS
is that people wishing to use those services have a 100 percent
guarantee that the pub key really belongs to that person and due
to its technically and cryptographically nature you only need one
signature.

If I created now a key pair, fire it up, and someone else signs
it, how much would you trust my key, if you do not know the signees
and their procedure used?

Regards
Stefan