[spam][crazy][wrong] considering timestamps

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 05:13:31 PDT 2021

742

ok.  let's try an old version of bitcoin while waiting for these sources
--- but wait!

if I want to sync a node, I'll need more than 17KB/s anyway!

so instead, maybe some network debugging.

743

I have one of those atheros ar9271 linux usb wifi dongles.  the kernel
driver and dongle have a symbiotic bug where when the signal is poor or the
mtu too high the driver can corrupt the kernel, or somesuch, but everybody
keeps using them anyway because they have open source firmware.

I wonder if I have my kernel sources.

i've plugged the dongle in!

it looks like the device is recognised ok (i've been fudging things for
weeks so crashes are much rarer now) but it's not getting an ip address.

this probably means the issue in is the router I guess

747

inhibition around free wifi access.  we don't want those hacktivists
getting free wifi, nosiree.  wait!  hacktivists are good people?
uhhhhhhhh.  but we could give wardriving to our cronies!  let's make
special cronie-only wardriving setups.  then we can rip the arms off the
hacktivists?

arms?

this timestamp got lost somewhere: 745

let's run tcpdump like any normal millenial network bum would.

749

sudo tcpdump -vvni wlp0s20f0u4 <- these letters are assigned by the kernel
driver deterministically based on bus architecture and module timing.  they
are not secret messages.

750

struggling with typing tcpump or tcpdumpdump instead of what I mean

751

no packet traffic.

let's run a dhcp client!

oops! nm!  there's an arp packet!

the arp packet came from 10.0.0.1, so the router's gateway stuff is running
and the problem is probably either local or in packet transmission to the
router.

i'll try setting a manual ip and see if I can reach the router.

752

I set a manual ip but no response from router on port 80, foolishly closed
tcpdump

753 inhibition around tcpdump again

754 tcpdump isn't showing any TCP packets being sent. rerun curl ..

doesnt make tcp packets.  maybe my routing table is sending them elsewhere
or something.

755

yupyup need to add a routing table entry

my routing table looks weird to me, i'll try handtyping it

Kernel IP routing table
default gateway 0.0.0.0 UG

ohhh I think I get it.  also inhibition around sharing local information,
hrm.  "gateway" must pick the interface's configured gateway or something.

man it has been a long time since I added or changed a routing entry.  i'll
try taking my other interface down.

757

dang my hands enabled airplane mode

758

the system won't reassociate with the AP after toggling airplane mode ...

759 now the ap isn't showing up anymore.  maybe my antenna fell off the
branch it's draped on.

hey there it is!

still not associating.

Okay the plan is to check the antenna before continuing that.

800

ooooh toggling airplane mode and taking my interface down broke the gdb
clone :/

my hands keep clicking on interface selection over and over again

801

there we go, other interface.

I have an idea!  I can clone gdb on my phone, and transfer over.

802

oops my phone is in airplane mode.  sometimes it does this on its o804

804

I took it out of airplane mode and a pkg update in gdb, and airplane mode
toggled back on during the pkg update.  i'll repeatedly untoggle it until I
have git installed.

808

I've gotten about 56 MB downloaded before airplane mode kicks on, which is
about 76% of git clone --mirror --depth=1
i'll try some more

810

i've set it up in a script to keep retrying, so I can just keep reenabling
airplane mode

811

I remembered how to fix my airplane mode issue!  I take another phone,
videorecord the display of this phone, and then the airplane issue stops
happening while i'm recording.

this'll be an easy clone now!

812

i've misplaced my other phone, to videorecord the misbehaviors of this
with, to clone gdb on to workaround the misbehaviors of my laptop, to debug
the misbehaviors of gdb, to debug the misbehaviors of bitcoin, to sync a
node to store records of things

i'll look for it.  it's 813