Cryptocurrency: Thiel Opines Lately on SpyVeillanceAI, Politics, Crypto

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 21:32:25 PDT 2021

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/22/palantirs-peter-thiel-surveillance-ai-is-more-concerning-than-agi.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel/
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynJOZQQeAnGR

Tech billionaire Peter Thiel "believes that people should be more
worried about 'surveillance AI' rather than artificial general
intelligences," reports CNBC: The venture capitalist, who co-founded
big data firm Palantir, said at an event in Miami on Wednesday that on
the path to AGI, you get surveillance AI, which he described as a
"communist totalitarian technology." Those that are worried about AGI
aren't actually "paying attention to the thing that really matters,"
Thiel said, adding that governments will use AI-powered facial
recognition technology to control people.

His comments come three years after Bloomberg reported that "Palantir
knows everything about you." Thiel has also invested in facial
recognition company Clearview AI and surveillance start-up Anduril.
Palantir, which has a market value of $48 billion, has developed data
trawling technology that intelligence agencies and governments use for
surveillance and to spot suspicious patterns in public and private
databases. Customers reportedly include the CIA, FBI, and the U.S.
Army....

Thiel, a well-known libertarian who also co-founded PayPal and holds a
board seat at Facebook, said Silicon Valley isn't talking about AGI as
much today as it was six or seven years ago... In the same talk, Thiel
pitted AI against cryptocurrencies, saying that he'd prefer to see the
latter one succeed. "If we say crypto is libertarian and that it is
fundamentally a force for decentralization, then I think we should
also be willing to say that AI, especially in the low-tech
surveillance form, is essentially communist."

"If you want to frame it as a technological race ... I want the crypto
decentralized world to work," he said.