I hate Ayn Rand period

professor rat pro2rat at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 19 16:50:19 PDT 2021

"... I hate Ayn Rand but this frequently cited fact -- that she took social
security payments -- is often cited to allegedly prove her hypocrisy. But
her argument was, the government stole from her, so she was justified in
recouping some of the stolen money by filling out the paperwork etc. Her
logic makes sense to me given her ideas so I don't think it was
hypocritical, even if wrong.

Also more broadly, should outgroups steal from one another?  The best
argument I see in favor is they are dangerous outgroups, so harm them to
protect you and yours. The best argument I see against is the more one
interacts with someone (even to inflict damage), the more one (if one is
goodhearted? prosocial?) starts to empathize with that individual and
wants to help them recondition rather than continue to harm. Thoughts?

To tie it into cypherpunks just use as examples warring factions/tribes in
the hacktivism/transparency landscape..."

It may not be the strongest argument against her - but hey - they got Al Capone for spitting on the sidewalk.

As to the second point - I was just reading Orwell's experience being unable to shoot a fascist with his pants down.

https://www.orwellfoundation.com/the-orwell-foundation/orwell/essays-and-other-works/looking-back-on-the-spanish-war/

I like to think those days of ' Marquis of Queensbury ' rules are long gone. However sometimes I acquire a grudging respect for an opponent.

Probably cos no ideology has a monopoly on wisdom.