Dishonest Tor relay math question - tor-talk is to lazy

Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 punks at tfwno.gf
Sun Oct 10 20:59:53 PDT 2021

On Mon, 11 Oct 2021 03:18:15 +0000
PrivacyArms <privacyarms at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I will read the linked paper, but Tor uses connection padding. Maybe your information is out of date?

	Nah. Tor uses some kind of limited padding, but it doesn't have constant rate links at all. Likewise, they added some kind of defense against website fingerprinting but who knows how well it actually performs.

	https://github.com/torproject/torspec/blob/main/proposals/251-netflow-padding.txt

	Also notice that if they are patching some stuff, that is an admition that there were  problems. Of course it's good that they did some upgrading but how far does the upgrading actually go?

	Last but not least that paper is from 2013. I think we can safely assume that the traffic analysis capabilities of GCHQ-NSA and the rest of govcorp have been upgraded as well.

>Isn't the EFF the same group circle as the Tor Project?

	yes indeed they are. But the article talking about 'parallel construction' and how the DEA gets information from the NSA is simply reporting a bunch of facts. You could learn them from other sources but I just had that link handy.