1984: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 02:53:25 PDT 2021

Enlightened Algos: Democrats Demand Increased Corporate Controls To
Protect Citizens From Their Own Dangerous Curiosities

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/09/29/enlightened-algorithms-democrats-call-for-increased-corporate-controls-to-protect-citizens-from-their-own-dangerous-curiosities/

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/07/19/the-shadow-state-embracing-corporations-as-surrogates-for-government-action/
https://www.newhartfordschools.org/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=2657&dataid=694&FileName=Enlightened_Despotism.pdf
https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2021.9.7%20Letter%20to%20Amazon%20on%20COVID%20Misinformation.pdf
http://cdn.harvardlawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/vol127_Heins.pdf
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/08/18/more-americans-now-say-government-should-take-steps-to-restrict-false-information-online-than-in-2018/
https://jonathanturley.org/2020/11/02/the-case-for-internet-originalism/
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/28/technology/tech-hearing
https://mcnerney.house.gov/sites/mcnerney.house.gov/files/McNerney-Eshoo%20TV%20Misinfo%20Letters%20-%202.22.21.pdf
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/18/trump-couldnt-have-incited-sedition-without-help-fox-news/
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/opinion/trump-impeachment-morality.html
https://jonathanturley.org/2021/02/02/a-harm-reduction-model-cnns-brian-stelter-offers-a-perfectly-orwellian-attack-on-free-speech-and-freedom-of-the-press/
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/feb/08/facebook-bans-vaccine-misinformation
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/06/03/twitter-pressure-climate-change-global-warming-topic/7512518002/
https://www.biometricupdate.com/202106/us-federal-lawmakers-reintroduce-biometric-surveillance-moratorium

Below is my column in USA Today on the recent call by Sen. Elizabeth
Warren (D., Mass.) for Amazon to steer readers to “true” books on
climate change. It is the latest example of Democrat’s embracing a
type of  corporate governance model to carry out tasks barred to the
government under the Constitution. Companies are now being asked to
protect us from our own dangerous interests and inquiries. An array of
enlightened algorithms will now watch over citizens to help them make
good choices and read “true” things.

Here is the column:

Two centuries ago, rulers sought to convince subjects that they should
embrace the notion of “enlightened despotism,” living without rights
under the beneficent watch of overlords. Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II
summed up the idea with the maxim “everything for the people, nothing
by the people.”

Today, we seem to be living in an age of enlightened corporate
despotism, where social media and technology companies watch over what
we read and what we discuss to protect us from ourselves.

That corporate governance model was on display this month when Sen.
Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., called on Amazon CEO Andy Jassy to use
algorithms to steer readers away from books that spew
“misinformation.”

Enlightened algorithms are already responsible for large-scale
censorship across social media platforms that reach global audiences.
They “stand the wall” as sentinels against dangerous ideas.

Warren argued that people were not listening to the enlightened views
of herself and leading experts.

Instead, they were reading views of vaccine skeptics by searching
Amazon and finding books, including “falsehoods about COVID-19
vaccines and cures, including those written by the most prominent
spreaders of misinformation.”

Warren blamed Amazon for failing to limit searches or choices:

    “This pattern and practice of misbehavior suggests that Amazon is
either unwilling or unable to modify its business practices to prevent
the spread of falsehoods or the sale of inappropriate products.”

In her letter, Warren gave the company 14 days to change its
algorithms to throttle and obstruct efforts to read opposing views.

What was most striking about this incident is that Warren was eager
for others to see her efforts to promote a form of censorship.

Once considered unAmerican and authoritarian, censorship has become a
rallying cry from the left. Indeed, a new poll shows roughly half of
the public supports not just corporate censorship but government
censorship of anything deemed “misinformation.”

In one critical hearing, tech CEOs appeared before the Senate to
discuss censorship programs. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey apologized for
censoring the Hunter Biden laptop story, but then pledged to censor
more people in defense of “electoral integrity.”

Delaware Sen. Chris Coons, however, was not happy. He was upset not by
the promised censorship but that it was not broad enough.

He noted that it was hard to define the problem of “misleading
information,” but the companies had to impose a sweeping system to
combat the “harm” of misinformation on climate change as well as other
areas. “The pandemic and misinformation about COVID-19, manipulated
media also cause harm,” Coons said. “But I’d urge you to reconsider
that because helping to disseminate climate denialism, in my view,
further facilitates and accelerates one of the greatest existential
threats to our world.”

Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal also warned that he and his
colleagues would not tolerate any “backsliding or retrenching” by
“failing to take action against dangerous disinformation.” He demanded
“the same kind of robust content modification” from the companies –
the new Orwellian term for censorship.

Others have sought even more “robust” action. For years, Democratic
leaders, including President Joe Biden, have called for corporate
censorship on a variety of subjects.

Last year, Democratic Reps.  Anna Eshoo and Jerry McNerney of
California wrote a letter to cable carriers like AT&T to ask why they
are still allowing people to watch FOX News. (For the record, I appear
as a FOX legal analyst). The members stressed that “not all TV news
sources are the same” and called the companies to account for their
role in allowing such “dissemination.”

Washington Post columnist and CNN analyst Max Boot also wrote that
cable providers should “step in and kick FOX News off.” New York Times
columnist Nicholas Kristof  insisted that “cable providers should be
asked why they distribute channels that peddle lies.”

CNN’s media expert Brian Stelter has called for censorship as “a harm
reduction model.”

Twitter, Facebook, and other companies have responded enthusiastically
in banning those who question the official view of vaccines, climate
change, elections or other subjects.

Calling for companies to protect us from ourselves is the ultimate in
enlightened despotism.  It is ironic that Warren has denounced the use
of “racist” algorithms in biometric technology like facial
recognition. She objects to the error rate in such algorithms but has
few such concerns when other algorithms are used to curtail free
speech.

The embrace of corporate censorship reflects a change in attitude of
many toward free speech. Once the very defining right of our
constitutional system, it is now more often portrayed as an
existential threat to that system. Speech is now “harmful” and
allowing the expression of unpopular opinions is treated as an act of
an accomplice.

Once free speech is defined as harmful or violent, the algorithms can
take it from there. At the urging of our leaders companies like Amazon
can censor “everything for the people, nothing by the people.”

We can then live under the enlightened despotism of governing
algorithms that protect us from our dangerous curiosities.