[spam][crazy][personal] an early sunday

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 11:27:59 PST 2021

omigod

it's 1328 new york time, 2021-11-22

I finally made libgrossgarbage use the core electrum client to download a
file from the bsv chain.  I mutated the internal interface in doing so.

the main electrum code is designed to work only on bitcoin core, but now I
have a gross mess in my gross mess project that makes it work on bsv.  I
got _really_ inhibited during.  it was _really_ hard to stabilise.

I want to add checkpointing and bring the electrumx code to at least
feature parity, even if it's not checking merkle roots.

the electrum code uses target integers for checkpointing, so I need to
query or calculate them for every checkpoint block

first commit code!

1332

1335

pushed ! github.com/xloem/libexcessiveattemptstostorethings

whoogle

k i'll import it into ipython and see if I can find block targets to make
checkpoints with

1340 oops, my code is giving bogus block header hashes.  some hashing
mistake.

1344 fixed, I wasn't byte-reversing the embedded hashes

1345 bitcoinx.bits_to_target((await blockchain.headers(0)).bits)

1352 ran into a networkish error

well the celebration was nice.  I infer it's more important to get
electrumx running again than to checkpoint main electrum hacked for bsv.

1355 I verified the target calculation is correct for a checkpoint block in
the main code

1409 hashes from the sources aren't matching ones on the network yay.  i'm
likely looking at something wrong

1416 I was treating al the chains as the main chain, loading more
checkpoints now

1419 looks like a chain rules issue around block 478558, bits starts
mismatching calculated

hrm

gives me checkpoints up to 295000.  not enough.  well, I saved the code to
generate them anyway.  guessing that approach is poor.

on to electrumx re-enabling.  1423.

unsure.

bulletproof garbage disposal!

in other news, have you seen the gemini network?  it's all "facebook and
youtube have proven that gopher was better than http, let's do this."