Coronavirus: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 01:41:09 PST 2021

Politicians always shifting goalposts to suit their power trips....

All Of A Sudden The CDC Has Stopped Talking About Herd Immunity

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-11-12/cdc-shifts-pandemic-goals-away-from-reaching-herd-immunity
https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/enough-is-enough-the-narrative-around

In case you haven't noticed, the CDC no longer looks as concerned with
herd immunity as it once did.

In what should come as no surprise to anyone watching the Covid
related narrative closely (or those who have been watching the herd
immunity narrative from the get-go), the CDC has "set aside herd
immunity as a national goal," according to a new report from the LA
Times.

What used to be a relatively simple concept has now turned into
something "very complicated", according to Dr. Jefferson Jones, a
medical officer on the CDC’s COVID-19 Epidemiology Task Force.

“Thinking that we’ll be able to achieve some kind of threshold where
there’ll be no more transmission of infections may not be possible,”
he said to a panel that advises the CDC last week.

While Jones says vaccines are effective against Covid, "even if
vaccination were universal, the coronavirus would probably continue to
spread," the report says.

Ergo, herd immunity seems to now be off the table. “We would
discourage” thinking in terms of “a strict goal,” Jones said.

Dr. Oliver Brooks, a member of the CDC’s Advisory Committee on
Immunization Practices told the L.A. Times that “we do need to
increase” the uptake of Covid shots.

Brooks admitted that the focus moving away from herd immunity “almost
makes you less motivated to get more people vaccinated.”

He also told the L.A. Times he was worried that if the CDC backs off
its herd immunity target, it'll prevent them from reaching their
vaccine targets.

It marks the latest of many 180 degree changes of heart on issues
related to Covid by the CDC.

“It’s a science-communications problem,” Brooks said, making sure to
reiterate that the agency was still following "the science".

“We said, based on our experience with other diseases, that when you
get up to 70% to 80%, you often get herd immunity,” he said about
Covid. “It has a lot of tricks up its sleeve, and it’s repeatedly
challenged us. It’s impossible to predict what herd immunity will be
in a new pathogen until you reach herd immunity.”

He concluded: “We want clean, easy answers, and sometimes they exist.
But on this one, we’re still learning.”

Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center
at the University of Pennsylvania, added that herd immunity was "never
as simple as many Americans made it out to be".

Sure, Kathleen. Even Americans like Dr. Fauci?

“Humans are not a herd,” Jamieson told the LA Times.

Raj Bhopal, a retired public health professor at the University of
Edinburgh, added: "It’s very hard to convey uncertainty and remain
authoritative. It’s a pity we can’t take the public along with us on
that road of uncertainty.”

Tell that to everyone that's been listening to "the science" and the
"official" narrative for the last 18 months.