Missing Oregon mom dead, daughter alive

Steven Schear schear.steve at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 12:41:55 PST 2021

In order to provide an emergency satellite locating service (e.g., like the
EPRB system routinely used for ships at sea) there would need to be
monitored frequencies and capabilities both via the satellites and the
mobiles. The intelligence and capabilities already built into some mobiles
(e.g., GPS and dynamically modifiable WiFi chip firmware) might make
possible practical ground to satellite signaling. The Nexus phones had
these features as did (does) some Samsung models. With up to 60 MHz of
possible transmission bandwidth and the use of spread spectrum encoding, a
mobile phone could use SS process gain to achieve an output well in excess
of a >1000W baseband transmitter. If satellites were able monitor either
existing WiFi bands (or adjacent frequencies newly authorized for radio
location) and the WiFi hardware / firmware modified to transmit a unique
emergency beacon I think this service might be practical.