Missing Oregon mom dead, daughter alive

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 16:22:32 PDT 2021

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/missing-oregon-mom-found-dead/283-3913515e-2105-404c-a579-f12e966f3c3a
Jim Bell's comment:
Might satellite 911 have saved them?
A few weeks ago, someone criticized me for talking about a possible future cellphone/smartphone service, akin to '911', with satellite service around the world.
Ostensibly, the criticism was somehow based on security and/or privacy.  Somehow, somebody would 'have to' sign up for this service.  I don't think so.
I then pointed out that for many years, cellphones without actual cell phone service contracts have been programmed so they are always capable of '911' service, assuming that they can receive a cell phone signal.  I see that as an excellent idea.
The problem is that many areas in America, especially in the western US, there is no cell service to be had, especially in mountainous and forested areas.
If such a satellite service begins to be available, even if it is only capable of text transmissions, a similar always-available service can be provided.