[spam][joke][cryptotragedy] checking signatures on boot media

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:59:44 PDT 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 11:46 PM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What OpenPGP IMHO liked to solve is to use public key cryptography for
>> the masses,
>> where every Joe user average can communicate with strangers globally and somehow
>> knowing that person X is maybe person X, when using the classic WoT.
>>
>> Question would be, do we really need this? For business purposes, I
>> would not need
>> this and for private use only also not much.
>

> Do we really need cryptography at all?
>
> It seems we need it very badly because our devices, networks, and communities are very insecure.  In the USA we had a huge political schism in the past few years.  People do things.  Governments do things.  Businesses do things.

At least we live in democratic countries where we can use cryptography.

I am more concerned about IoT devices and how secure they are when
using the Internet and that does not mean crypto but security in form
of bug free software, wich does not allow to many hacking attempts.

But this is a dream.

> These things work so simply, because precautions are not taken.
>
> But that's always been the case.  Citizens get simple locks that any locksmith can pick.  Anybody can train to be a locksmith and open every door.
>
> On the internet, knowledge has traveled much faster and wider than it has in the past.

Correct. and then we may think what is this all good for, in what we are doing
on the grid compared to real-life things.

Regards
Stefan