List Status

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Tue May 25 09:48:20 PDT 2021

Hi, Karl. The list was a bit quiet yesterday. Perhaps cpunks were outside in the Big Blue, or otherwise engaged. I sent a note that you should have received.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 12:11:26PM -0400, Karl wrote:
> Hey Greg,
>
> Can you confirm that people _subscribed_ to the list experience a spam
> filter now?  I thought my emails were getting spammed due to not being
> subscribed, but it turns out this address is, actually, subscribed; I
> was told this when I attempted subscribing.

Yes, there are a few standard spam filters and related mechanisms on the server. This includes Spamassassin, DKIM, SPF, and DMARC. These have been in place since the list moved to pglaf.org a few years ago.

Just in the past days, in Spamassassin, I turned off use of the blacklists, since they have occasionally been problematic.

I have not observed any messages from you that were flagged as spam or rejected.

However, sometimes messages are rejected before they get to the list or to me - if this happens to you, then (a) you will get a bounce from the pglaf.org (a.k.a., cpunks.org) server, and (b) the message won't go into the archive.

None of this is nefarious or specific to cpunks. Other than the change mentioned to remove the blacklists from Spamassassin, all of this stuff is out-of-the-box with Ubuntu.

> In other news, I haven't been receiving mails from the list recently
> (recent mails in the archive aren't in my inbox yet), not sure if it
> matters.

Yes, you are subscribed. Only subscribers can submit, and your messages are going through and in the archive. If you are not certain whether your message went to the list, first check the archive via https://lists.cpunks.org (no login required).