LibGen SciHub: Replication of Science Experiment - Seed for Success

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun May 16 16:09:42 PDT 2021

> in conformance with the Scientific Method: Successful Replication of Experiment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/nc27fv/rescue_mission_for_scihub_and_open_science_we_are/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/ndlfpp/scihub_files_current_seeder_count/

http://libgen.rs/scimag/repository_torrent/
https://pastebin.com/j6ZaZe9z
https://old.reddit.com/r/scihub
https://old.reddit.com/r/libgen

Some have been part of recent years efforts to preserve and enhance,
distributed load and storage is key to keep seed the unseeded for futures...

Rescue Mission for Sci-Hub and Open Science: We are the library.
DataHoarder by shrine

Rescue Mission Links in original

    Quick start to rescuing Sci-Hub: Download 1 random torrent (100GB)
from the scimag collection and download it. Seed forever.
    Contribute to open source Sci-Hub projects: freereadorg/awesome-libgen
    Join /r/scihub to stay up to date

A Rescue Mission for Sci-Hub and Open Science

Elsevier and the USDOJ have declared war against Sci-Hub and open
science. The era of Sci-Hub and Alexandra standing alone in this fight
must end. We have to take a stand with her.

On May 7th, Sci-Hub's Alexandra Elbakyan revealed that the FBI has
been wiretapping her accounts for over 2 years. This news comes after
Twitter silenced the official Sci_Hub twitter account because Indian
academics were organizing on it against Elsevier.

Sci-Hub itself is currently frozen and has not downloaded any new
articles since December 2020. This rescue mission is focused on
seeding the article collection in order to prepare for a potential
Sci-Hub shutdown.

Alexandra Elbakyan of Sci-Hub, bookwarrior of Library Genesis, Aaron
Swartz, and countless unnamed others have fought to free science from
the grips of for-profit publishers. Today, they do it working in
hiding, alone, without acknowledgment, in fear of imprisonment, and
even now wiretapped by the FBI. They sacrifice everything for one
vision: Open Science.

Why do they do it? They do it so that humble scholars on the other
side of the planet can practice medicine, create science, fight for
democracy, teach, and learn. People like Alexandra Elbakyan would give
up their personal freedom for that one goal: to free knowledge. For
that, Elsevier Corp (RELX, market cap: 50 billion) wants to silence
her, wants to see her in prison, and wants to shut Sci-Hub down.

It's time we sent Elsevier and the USDOJ a clearer message about the
fate of Sci-Hub and open science: we are the library, we do not get
silenced, we do not shut down our computers, and we are many.
Rescue Mission for Sci-Hub

If you have been following the story, then you know that this is not
our first rescue mission.

    We protected the Library Genesis book collection
    We unlocked over 5,000 COVID-19 research articles
    We successfully petitioned publishers to unlock their COVID-19 paywalls
    bookwarrior, the founder of Library Genesis, took his library onto
the de-centralized and un-censorable IPFS web
    Next? Make Sci-Hub un-censorable too.

Rescue Target

A handful of Library Genesis seeders are currently seeding the Sci-Hub
torrents. There are 850 scihub torrents, each containing 100,000
scientific articles, to a total of 85 million scientific articles:
77TB. This is the complete Sci-Hub database. We need to protect this.
Rescue Team

Wave 1: We need 85 datahoarders to store and seed 1TB of articles
each, 10 torrents in total. Download 10 random torrents from the
scimag collection, then load the torrents onto your client and seed
for as long as you can. The articles are coded by DOI and in zip
files.

Wave 2: Reach out to 10 good friends to ask them to grab just 1 random
torrent (100GB). That's 850 seeders. We are now the library.

Final Wave: Development for an open source Sci-Hub.
freereadorg/awesome-libgen is a collection of open source achievements
based on the Sci-Hub and Library Genesis databases. Open source
de-centralization of Sci-Hub is the ultimate goal here, and this
begins with the data, but it is going to take years of developer sweat
to carry these libraries into the future.

Heartfelt thanks to the /r/datahoarder and /r/seedboxes communities,
seedbox.io and NFOrce for your support for previous missions and your
love for science.