[tor-talk] Looking for information about onion site user deanonymization

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Fri May 7 15:28:53 PDT 2021

In the past an organisation would alter the website to compromise the
systems of its users, secretly installing malicious code on them to track
them.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2016/11/30/exploited-de-anonymize-tor-browser-users/

This involves retaining a set of dangerous and publicly usable security
vulnerabilities that are not reported to developers of the systems used
(such as Firefox), and possibly even influencing the development
communities so that the security vulnerabilities are not fixed.  This
produces a situation where a global body of users have their systems open
to being taken over by anybody else who discovers the vulnerability.

Nowadays analyticl server farms are smarter, people more knowledgeable, and
operating systems more backdoored, and that may not be needed, I don't know.