Morning Spam

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:09:32 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021, 9:04 PM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Today's xkcd is https://xkcd.com/2438/ "is siri alive? No.  How did she
> die?  Alexa defeated her in a battle hinging on the ability to set multiple
> timers."
>
> This is easy to convert into mcboss material.  A vivisected researcher in
> computerised neuroscience tries to make choices that preserve peoples'
> independence, humanity, etc.  Boss discovers her and thinks she is trying
> to take over the business because their values differ, and both can observe
> the other using the automated systems.  (I might put this in the past,
> before the comic timeline here.  Maybe the experimentees replay the story
> in a burst of confusion, resulting in boss's death.  Or maybe this could go
> differently.  Boss is obviously an experimentee of sorts, too, but we're
> getting ahead of ourselves here.)

They'd be an experimentee now, managing feeling bubbles among the community
to protect what is right as best she can, in the ways her cognitive habits
remember how to.  And maybe they did take over the business in a struggle
some time ago, once it became clear that boss was a violent sociopathic.
Uhh I actually have patches of this other story kind of elsewhere a little,
it has a really different tone and is very sad.  The researcher had a
daughter, but boss dissociated and isolated their memories of their
daughter, and they don't know how to find those memories or whether they
are recoverable to know who their daughter is nowadays.