Key witness in Assange case admits to lies in indictment - Stundin

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:55:46 PDT 2021

I'm checking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange to see what
others say is true.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 6:46 PM David Barrett <dbarrett at expensify.com> wrote:

> Do we agree:
>
> 1. The US has requested that he be extradited

I'm assuming that is true.

2. The UK is currently holding him (and has been for 2 years) while Assange
> appeals the extradition request

ThIs doesn't appear clear to me.  The article says the USA has appealed the
extradition request, after a judge denied it.

The US prosecutors lodged an appeal on 15 January.[460]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange#cite_note-460> A spokesman
for the U.S. Department of Justice confirmed in mid-February 2021 that it
would continue the appeal under the new Biden administration.[458
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange#cite_note-theduran.com-458>

> So he's by every legal and semantic definition in the UK prison by
> choice.  He can allow himself to be extradited to the US at any time.

He is in the UK as opposed to the US.  The charges levied at him could
imprison him longer than his lifespan in the US, so he probably doesn't
think that extradition would free or benefit him or anything.

Now, it's true that he would prefer not to be in any prison.  But it feels
> like the US has a reasonable case against him that should be evaluated by a
> court (and the UK agrees).

FALSIFIED EVIDENCE?  REASONABLE CASE AGAINST?

Caps because your statement is ignoring the thread topic.  I'm wondering if
you're forgetting it.

Unless you feel there is literally no law that he could reasonably be said
> to have broken --

such as aiding and abetting a fugitive by helping Snowden hide his tracks
> while escaping, or collaborating with a convicted felon (Chelsea Manning)
> in publishing state secrets?  I'm sure you would think that he has a
> reasonable defense against those, and if so, he should do great in court.
> But do you believe the court has truly no reasonable case to even hear?

Are you saying we should be certain to prosecute anyone who violates any
law?  Does this include people working for governments?

-david