Ross Ulbricht got 2xLife+40 for a Harmless Website

David Barrett dbarrett at expensify.com
Sun Jun 27 17:29:46 PDT 2021

> For someone to say they are ok with Silk Road and what appear to be
>> genuine attempts to hire killers, proven instances of
>>

> ???? Did you miss my last reply?  The link you posted had to use a private
> conversation as evidence since there was no trade records of such things,
> and the prosecutor admitted there was no indication killers were actually
> hired.

My understanding is the crime is *attempting* to have someone killed,
whether or not it's carried out.  Everything seems to suggest he felt Blake
Krokoff was a real person, and wanted him killed, and was offering payment
to do so.  Thankfully whoever "Blake Krokoff" actually is did a good job
covering his tracks, but there's no reason to think that Ulbricht didn't
genuinely want him dead.

the sale of hard narcotics, and the

> To be clear here, the person in prison did not sell narcotics, right?
> They provided a platform for general trade, where others sold narcotics.

He profited from them by taking a transaction fee, so yes, he was selling
narcotics in every legal, moral, and semantic sense.

widespread platform for money laundering and tax evasion -- is kind of to
>> say they are a
>>

> ???? Bitcoin already exists and people are finally realising it doesn't
> make anything private.  Ross Ulbricht didn't invent bitcoin.

Fair point, but he's not being imprisoned for the existence of Bitcoin.
He's being imprisoned for selling narcotics, personally avoiding taxes, and
attempting to have people killed.

-david