Ross Ulbricht got 2xLife+40 for a Harmless Website

David Barrett dbarrett at expensify.com
Sun Jun 27 12:35:46 PDT 2021

That's an interesting perspective. But it does hinge upon two different
assumptions.

First, it hinges upon the assassination market being fake (or more
generally, that the severity of what was happening there is overstated),
which I would think the most effective way to evaluate would be to consider
with an institution devoted to getting to the heart of what is true and
false. Such as a court. Which it did.

Unless you are advising that our nation should use some other institution,
such as your personal judgment, to determine truth from fiction, I'm not
sure what you are proposing. So far as the law is concerned, the severity
of what was happening there was extreme enough to justify the sentance, and
you disagreeing with the outcome doesn't make it any less a valid outcome
for one who believes in the rule of law. Which I'll admit, you might not.

The second part is to take issue with the laws that our society has
created, and to a very large degree supports. While there is widespread
support for legalization of marijuana, the same cannot be said for the kind
of hard drugs that Silk Road was reputed to traffic in.  So I think it can
be frustrating when you disagree with the rest of society in a democracy,
but that doesn't make the democracy itself flawed. It just makes you an
outlier, which is a feature not a bug of a representative democracy.

I think it's easy to pick and choose from the outcomes that you like in
order to criticize our court system. But I would encourage you to focus
more on the process itself, and advising specific fixes to the process if
you are unhappy with its results.

On the other hand, if you can't identify specific changes you'd like to
make in the process, then you should just sit back and accept the results.

And if you are instead of advising that we just scrap the whole thing start
over, I would encourage you to get clear on what specifically you would
like to be different in the new society versus the old, and why revolution
is the most effective way to accomplish it.

David