Ditching OpenPGP, a new approach to signing APT repositories

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:56:25 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 11:20 PM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan,
>

> Thank you for sharing this.  I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the debian dev process to look this up: do you know what avenues will be available for debian users to verify public keys?  Will there be signatures on the keyrings?

Hi Karl,

good question, I must admit I have just seen this today and the software
seems to work the same as the one used by the OpenBSD[1] folks, which
also no longer use OpenPGP for signing packages.

[1] I have played with signify and minisign in the past and there are no options
to certify a pub key or keyring, which we know from how GnuPG works.

I guess they can sign the pub key file(s) between each other dev and then have
to publish those results in a safe place?!

Regards
Stefan