1984: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 02:07:08 PDT 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/16/from-packed-streets-to-silence-documenting-hong-kong-authoritarianism
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/06/dozens-of-hong-kong-pro-democracy-figures-arrested-in-sweeping-crackdown

China's "Virus Control" Measures In Hong Kong: No Easing Lengthy
Quarantine For Fully Vaccinated Execs

Hong Kong has within a mere couple years gone from packed streets to
silence - as The Guardian has observed following the national security
law and mainland China crackdown going deep into effect, given also
the arrests and exiling of young protest leaders. One UK-based
photojournalist laments that "With no protests left to photograph, it
seemed a good idea to take a break... But it was with a heavy heart
that I watched the situation continue to deteriorate from afar."

And then the streets grew eerily calm after a couple years of mass
protest and unrest: "In January 2021, the authorities arrested dozens
of activists under the national security law. In one fell swoop, it
was as if the entire cast of characters in the story of Hong Kong’s
democratic movement – one I had been covering for years – were
arrested, in jail, or in exile."

    Remember when the Chinese Communist Party was facing the largest
existential threat to its existence in HK? Pro-democracy protests in
HK were out of control when…POOF everyone was gone from the streets as
the virus was released. #GoodTiming #China #Wuhan
https://t.co/GUQT3Tg14I
    — 🇺🇸Kyle Bass🇺🇸 (@Jkylebass) June 16, 2021

Some are now seeing the inexplicable reversal as yet another tool of
primarily political control.

    Hong Kong devolving into economic monoculture
https://t.co/rVekVkeB6g pic.twitter.com/MOWbppTh8E
    — Reuters U.S. News (@ReutersUS) June 8, 2021