[wrong][spam] Cracking PGP

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:37:55 PDT 2021

[to state the obvious, few people on this cryptography list are using pgp,
and I appear to have been influenced not to as well; I'm just trying to
help myself process both situations.  do you use pgp?  do you believe there
is any reason to?  this is a cryptography list.]

The mpi_powm implementations are in mpi/mpi-pow.c :
https://dev.gnupg.org/source/libgcrypt/browse/master/mpi/mpi-mpow.c

What's exciting, is there are actually two different implementations in
that one file.  The old one called "simple exponentiation" starts on line
49 and goes through line 353.  The second one occupies the second half of
the file and starts on line 405.

They're both quite big, but a lot of it looks like boilerplate.

To learn modular algorithms from this file most efficiently for cracking
PGP as a software developer, we want to review the parts of these
implementations that directly relate to what is needed to implement modular
arithmetic.