The Garden Island: Police seek funds to encrypt radios; prevent public access

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 03:42:46 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 3:53 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/13/21, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The Garden Island: Police seek funds to encrypt radios; prevent public
> > access.
> >
> https://www.thegardenisland.com/2021/06/13/hawaii-news/police-seek-funds-to-encrypt-radios-deny-public-access/
>
> That's $140k per radio, your money, stolen from
> you and wasted by Govt on whatever they want.
> Because PII now... no, people been recording
> that for decades. Just another power grab.
>
> BTW, they gave themselves rights to encrypt the
> airwaves but will put you in prison for doing the same.
>
> Wake up, grab your rights back.

Some areas have police radio encryption, some don't.

Personally I would push for pairing radio encryption with two laws:
- entire body camera records for surrounding time period must be made
public to convict of a crime
- all criminals have option for community-based mediation and restorative
justice rather than jail, fines, prisons