GoldBug Messenger Fraud? [was: FBI encrypted app, global arrests]

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 04:48:07 PDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021, 7:24 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > It seems to hard to figure out if that press release is real
>
> Go ask both the EFF and CCC separately for a copy of their
> GoldBug PR announcement and post the text of their replies here.

This seems to be something that you care about.  Has it been done before?
I don't think it will discern whether the project actually made the press
release, but it looks like the developers might bend the truth harmlessly
sometimes and I think that's human and normal.

The software looks to be a convenience messaging wrapper for openssl
written by dedicated non-experts, in need of experienced review.  A user
from their community asked the list for an experienced opinion 8 years ago
and as far as I can tell were rejected due to suspicion.

Trustworthiness here could be discerned by
- can we reach the actual devs
- do they respond to learning of problems in their software, by fixing
those problems
- do they accept contributions containing fixes to problems in their
software
That's probably been tested some time ago in the archives.

Randolph does behave really funny.  Never did they say they were affiliated
with the project.

Your reply regarding the rooftop monitoring system was really cool, I'm
having some issues directing my replies and this comment ended up in this
thread, sorry.