GoldBug Messenger Fraud? [was: FBI encrypted app, global arrests]

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 04:03:08 PDT 2021

Randolph removed from this public email.

The more primary source links for this controversy are at
https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2013-July/047140.html and
https://lists.cypherpunks.ca/pipermail/otr-users/2013-July/002232.html .
If you click forward on the second link, which appears to have no replies,
you can see Randolph continues discussing GoldBug in a different thread.

I am _guessing_ that Randolph was either involved in developing GoldBug, or
was trying to influence GoldBug's public appearance in some way.  It's hard
to tell whether the expressions are intended to advertise GoldBug or make
them appear sketchy.

My first guess was that Randolph was a one-man team who did not speak
English as their first language, and they were trying to advertise their
work in ways they were familiar with, by pretending to be somebody else
stumbling upon it.  I don't really know.

The comments on the echo protocol make it sound a little bit like the
bitmessage protocol.

As always, the answers are in the source code, and it is open source.  If
it phones home it is bad, etc, if it does everything e2e it is good, etc.