Remailers

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Fri Jun 11 11:25:19 PDT 2021

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:18:00PM -0400, Karl Semich wrote:

> > That's referring to having multiple mailing lists linked together for
> > the cypherpunks list. Basically, you would mail one address and it would
> > mail the other mailing lists, sort of like an old school FidoNet
> > echomail board if you remember that.
> >

> I probably used fidonet and didn't realise what it was.  I was pretty young
> when I dialed in to bbs's.
>
> Regarding CDR, I found https://web.jfet.org/cpunk/howto.html .  It vaguely
> sounds to me like a CDR system could be revived by adding X-Loop header
> support to mailman.  Not sure.

Mechanisms for linking together multiple lists, whether or not they are all using Mailman, are fairly well understood.

In the case of Cypherpunks, the CDR description you found worked pretty well, as I recall (as a subscriber, not a list administrator at that time).

If you are keen to restart remailers for Cypherpunks, probably you'll need to give thought to who, what, where, why? ("How" is important, but not that hard.)

I think it would be valuable to have one or two remailers, with slightly different policies and technologies, simply to enhance the list resilience in the event of a failure on our (current) single node. It's only valuable if someone else actually runs the thing, and it's even more valuable if it is substantially different (different physical location, different software, etc.).
  ~ Greg