ExtremeTech: CPU Manufacturers Are Pushing the Boundaries of CMOS and Starting to Pay For It

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 17:57:54 PDT 2021

I skimmed through some parts of the paper.

The rate is more like 0.1% than 3% and facebook has published a paper on it
too.

Google references a few techniques for working around the issue, and has
made libraries for reliable cryptography, but does not link to them.

On Linux thread affinity can be set to select cpu cores:
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_setaffinity_np.3.html

Google recommends triplicating on different cores crucial tasks.  I suppose
you would want to triplicate also the tallying of the results and the
verification of being on separate cores.  They link to well-studied
techniques in the paper.

The problem is supposed to only affect you if you run a datacenter with
thousands of machines, so stop spilling coffee on your mobile phone while
running it during an x-ray.

(I recently replaced my copy of raspbian's latest openssl .deb with a
handbuilt library because it kept giving me occasional valgrind failures
and incorrect digests.)

Obviously this is not a problem that ethereum would ever have.