Cryptocurrency: Seagate line of crypto-specific drives, Proof Of Storage Space

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 03:31:12 PDT 2021

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, 6:13 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why would they be lossy?
>
> Because someone brought lossy into the thread as an option.

This was you, right?

> > Free storage of unlimited data that is important to the world
>
> Free to you is only upon gift of others.

I'm big on gift economies, I don't need to cover them up.  But yes that's
obvious.

> > Is this the lifetime of a rotating disk?
>
> Once past early death can be many years, but
> amortization, depreciation, obsolete size/power, etc
> starts coming into play around there.
>
> https://www.backblaze.com/
>
> > Have you considered bulk tape storage?
>
> In thread.

> > What about Moore's law?
>
> Moore is just an observation over past manufacturing advances,
> not a law of physics. Chips are now down to sub-2nm.

I thought it was a set of business agreements.

Actual laws of physics, hard quantum limits, tens of atoms,
> are starting to apply below that range.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor_device_fabrication
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
>
> This problem is also why cryptocurrency development
> should explore moving beyond first-gen blockchains that
> keep growing in perpetuity per transaction, to a chainless
> history-free state database whose forever size is naturally
> just the number of all unspent outputs. Some coins are
> working on developing that tech, but you'd have to find
> and post the links to them.

Ethereum was pursuing that stuff for a bit.  Similar to Wikipedia articles
with deleted history.  A joke topic is missing: free speech around highly
classified or dangerous information.  You could power a city and build a
space station in that city, based on the physical processes that result
from really highly suppressed information.

> Every blockchain starts this way.  People like making a few cents, some
> are
> > passionate and have existing capital, others have a business plan.
>
> They can start and like whatever they want, but unless
> they dream up a way to magically cut the cost of drives
> from $0.63 down to $0.03, they'll still be bankrupt in short order.
>
> Nothing is ever truly free but solar input, while it lasts.

Volcanos, tides, waves, temperature differentials in the earth, huge
underground aquifers that span the globe and never stop pumping, charge
differentials up the atmosphere that cause lightning ...  but we don't
actually need all that electricity so it's mostly a cultural game.

But obviously blockchains assume that scarcity produces discovery.  Make a
blockchain that facilitates free invention, all the others grow.