Cryptocurrency: Seagate line of crypto-specific drives, Proof Of Storage Space

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 03:42:07 PDT 2021

> Consider if those are prices for worthless lossy storage.

?  Why would they be lossy?

Chia depends on the miner being able to find precomputed
> answers on storage, if that storage is constantly evaporating
> the miners data out from under them, the miner has no answers,
> and has to waste even more time-energy-money backfilling
> those holes in their rainbow tables again.

Honestly, I briefly made a script to plot on sia's free unlimited storage
mirrors some time ago and the problem ended up being my personal
bandwidth.  It took me more than the time of a block to personally download
enough data to make noticeable money.

Filecoin's free storage is at https://nft.storage .  Free storage of
unlimited data that is important to the world, in 100 MiB chunks.

> Then also consider if those prices meet the hard economic reality
> of actual long term raw storage pricing, versus being subsidized
> by foolish investor rounds, loss leader sales promotions, etc.
>
> Today, $685 / 18 TiB / 12 mo / 5 yr = $0.6343 per TiB-month-lifetime.

Is this the lifetime of a rotating disk?  Have you considered bulk tape
storage?  What about Moore's law?

At $0.03 per T-m[-l?], FileCoin is clearly a counterparty bankruptcy
> risk to your data. Even if people are yield farming their otherwise
> unused disk extents off their home and business hardware into
> FileCoin for fun, those users are pricing their slack space way
> too low to ever buy even a pizza with their earnings.

Every blockchain starts this way.  People like making a few cents, some are
passionate and have existing capital, others have a business plan.

SiaCoin and Amazon are pricing closer to reality after
> export costs and profit.

Unlike Amazon, sia's and filecoin's price is decided solely by individual
sellers and buyers.  If those prices are real, then somebody is pumping sia
or trashing filecoin, or both.

The sweet spot between price, capacity, watts, chassis volume,
> speed, etc is always moving.

Certainly true.

> https://www.zdnet.com/article/worlds-largest-ssd-hits-100tb/

It's also the world's most energy efficient SSD, drawing as little as 0.1
> Watts per TB, which is about 80- to 90-percent lower than the competition.

Apricorn ADT-3PL256F-18TB 18tb Aegis Padlock Dt Ext Secure Usb 3.0 256-bit
> Aes
>
> Secure, lol.

The wars from people believing these marketing, continue to escalate.