Ars Technica: Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 01:52:53 PDT 2021

On 5/30/21, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05/amazon-devices-will-soon-automatically-share-your-internet-with-neighbors/

> Jim Bell's comment:I've long believed that something like this could be
> good...if it is "done right"
> Unfortunately, I cannot tell what "done right" entails.

Telecoms (cable/fiber/dsl) already do this, commonly
via internet they sell to commercial/retail locations,
which often includes the Corps router/WiFi box as the
demarc device. Customer pays for all that. Then
the Corporation puts up another SSID or cellco base
station for the public over the same lines and box,
but does not pay the customer anything for freeloading
off the customers real estate to reach adjacent users
who typically buy convenience subscriptions to those
paygated SSIDs/Cells.

That freeloading would probably end quick once some
genius pranksters abuse those SSIDs/Cells and
get the innocent business / home owner raided for info,
and news of that Corp embarassment hits the newswires.

Imagine also the Corporate doorbell [s]cameras freeloading
and GovCorp "partnership" linked into all the police departments
automated AI video scanners. Some cranks will be wearing winter
coats and Corona masks, going around hacking into or manually
flashing forbidden pictures in front of the cams... cops raid and
kill the biz / home owners at 4AM. Bye bye Amazon Ring.

Or not.

The only good is to build your own physical peer-to-peer
encrypted meshnets linking up neighbors-to-neighbors
around the globe so that there's no GovCorp ownership,
no central authority, raids, censorship, payments, etc,
thus you can freely share at will.