Cryptocurrency: Seagate line of crypto-specific drives, Proof Of Storage Space

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 00:46:40 PDT 2021

Jim noted:
> about the disk-usage characteristics of this
> new kind of storage-crypto to know what the cost trade-offs are.  Can most
> of the 'disk' reads/writes be cached?  That would certainly minimize SD card
> usage, and thus limit the wearout mechanisms.

Some of these proofs of space are essentially precomputed rainbow tables.
The computed outputs can be sorted and binned across a lookup
hashtree divided across the entire storage extent. There are typical
tradeoffs in sizing those indexes which could be cached. But
eventually you will exceed the cache and have to start doing real
reads to see if you have the answer to the challenge.

https://www.chia.net/

Most new cryptos these days are corrupt founders-get-rich
scams upon the fairness they claim in their advertising.
Some people are saying Bram's Chia is also a massive premine.

Satoshi did not premine anything, the Genesis was cut and
the network instance announced and launched for all interested
parties to freely mine thereafter. Plenty of profit available to earlies,
no premine or investment rounds needed to create a coin.

> https://www.techradar.com/news/exclusive-seagate-exploring-possible-new-line-of-crypto-specific-hard-drives

The only thing they can do to increase capacity for
this incompressible cryptorandom data beyond current
commercial offerings is to sell a line offering higher error
rates, lower data rates, and lower drive lifespan, while
keeping seek times in scale. Such drives might be
priced less per byte, but they will never be priced any
less per *reliable* byte.

If you wanted to get in the biz, you could imagine
resurrecting larger diameters, such as these horribly
unreliable drives...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Bigfoot
combined with 100+ platter horizontal spindles riding
on multiple oil bearings, then airbag chassis suspension
so you could stack gangs of them on concrete floors
like old IBM units without crashing heads from
harmonics, people, trains, bearing destruction in
adjacent units, etc.

Consider also if tape is cheaper than disk, layering tiers
of RAM / SSD / disk indexing, into massive perhaps even
parallelized tape extents... all while trying to beat the race
condition of your competitors on the network.

But you'd have to cut me in on the profits for the ideas.

bitcoin-btc:1JjWdsFAWB4UDZXFMpHQ5sqNMSvWah8S9q