California bans some high-power computers.

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Fri Jul 30 22:37:46 PDT 2021

On 7/30/21 23:59, jim bell wrote [quoting a Republican Daily article]:
> Americans know California is fond of banning all types of pleasure and
> progress. So it may come as no surprise that the state has adopted new
> regulations that have ended up effectively banning a new top-of-the-line
> gaming PC from Dell. The reason? The new technology uses too much
> energy. That’s right, a highly advanced PC cannot be sold in California
> – the state with the fifth largest economy in the world and that is home
> to the heart of the tech industry – because it uses a lot of power."

I'm confused by this article. If it's just energy consumption related to
actual computing power and these computers are no less energy efficient
factoring in the higher computing power, I have a huge problem with it.
However if it's really about energy efficiency, as in these computers
could be built with the same amount of computing power and use less
energy to do the same work without sacrificing performance, then that's
a problem Dell needs to fix.

I'm hesitant to make any kind of decision based on a blatantly right
wing story, that actually has "Republican" as part of the publication
title no less (!). I'd like to see a more balanced story from, say, Wired.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com