Re: Dear Leaders: We don’t trust you because you’re untrustworthy

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 10:59:59 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, 1:47 PM Karl Semich <0xloem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021, 1:07 PM David Barrett <dbarrett at expensify.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 9:38 AM Karl Semich <0xloem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The vaccines you hear about are being made by the people who are already
>>> richest from selling vaccines.  Obviously.
>>>

>> We also buy cars from people who are rich selling cars, and bananas from
>> people who are rich selling bananas.  Obviously if you successfully produce
>> a product that works and is in high global demand, you get rich.  But
>> "selling a product that works" is hardly a sin... right?
>>

> You got it!
>
> But why care if it works?

Here.

effectiveness = success * profit

Let's replace profit with something else.

effectiveness = success * having_lobbyists

Consider the effectiveness of tobacco.  Tobacco is successful in giving
people relaxation, a cognitive boost, a thing to do with friends.  Exercise
is also successful at these things.

But tobacco has more lobbyists than exercise.