Assange's Persecution

David Barrett dbarrett at expensify.com
Wed Jul 7 12:52:53 PDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 12:36 PM Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> The Biden administration should cease spying on, harassing, arresting,
> jailing, and exiling people *associated* with WikiLeaks. The Biden
> administration should drop the case against Julian Assange and the
> case against WikiLeaks.

Absolutely agree.  And if the Swedish sexual assault charges are
officially/permanently dropped, then that's that.

To be clear, I do think the DOJ is appropriately responsible for
investigating and plugging leaks.  Unless you take the position that
literally every bit of government information should be made available to
the public (which I don't think anybody is claiming), then it is
appropriate for the DOJ to take reasonable measures to ensure the
confidentiality of confidential information.

But targeting journalists with the kind of harassment you describe is
absolutely unjust and unacceptable, and needs to stop.  Other than just
becoming better informed personally (which I appreciate, thank you!) what
else can we do?

-david