oramfs - ORAM filesystem written in Rust

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 20:31:55 PDT 2021

On 05/07/2021 22:23, Travis Biehn wrote:
[...]
> The ORAM topic is fresh to me, maybe it's time to do a deep dive on
> the academic work. Happy for other examples or pointers to content
> that might help.

Quick - well maybe not that quick - recap. I will start with what will
seem like some digressions, but which aren't entirely so, and try and
pull the threads together. It's a bit untidy as it contains bits written
for other purposes, sorry.

The first encrypted filing systems encrypted individual files, but not
the associated metadata like file names, directory structure etc. This
concealed file contents to some extent but not eg file size, file access
patterns etc, which could be used to guess the file's contents. They did
nothing to hide file existence.

Deniable file systems, where an observer cannot see the files in the
system and the existence of files or even filing systems can only be
demonstrated by use of a key, began with Rubberhose in about 1995 (an
Assange project, though aiui it was Suelette Dreyfus who did the work).

They were formalised as steganographic file systems by Ross Anderson in
about 2000 and there were a few papers shortly after which didn't
contribute much more.

These file systems were on private storage, and the idea was that an
attacker would get a single snapshot of the raw encrypted and steganised
file system in the private storage, through eg maid attack or seizure,
to base his attack on.

If a key was given or coerced then it would be cryptographically
difficult for an attacker to say that there were more keys which
concealed other files.

This works, sort-of, in the "gimme the keys to access the files or go to
jail" law-enforcement case, but in the Rubberhose use case, "gimme the
keys and I'll stop torturing you" torture case not so well - a rational
torturer may just keep on torturing forever.

In 2005 Truecrypt filled an entire storage space with random data, then
overwrote this partially with the encrypted files and metadata,
sometimes as a blob, which could also be a file inside another blob.
When properly set up this could both provide obscured file existence and
steganographic file hiding.

With the growth of cloud storage it became desirable to create a file
system which provided file existence hiding when the main storage is
public (as opposed to private but subject to snapshot copying) and an
attacker could see all the block reads and writes.

In order to get file existence hiding when the storage is public an
important extra requirement is file access hiding, as otherwise the
existence of files can be deduced from access patterns.

As block accesses are public, we have to somehow separate block accesses
from file accesses. There are other considerations like an attacker can
replay the file system to any previous state, so the situation where a
key which accesses a deleted file is still in use, and may be given
up/demanded/coerced should be avoided.

Ongoing attempts have been made, by myself and others, to extend the
techniques used in steganographic file systems to create observable
deniable/steganographic filing systems using public storage, but so far
they have failed.

The idea of oblivious transfer, where one piece of information is sent
but the sender does not know which piece, had been around for a while,
and in 1981 Michael Rabin showed it was possible to do it. This
developed into the wider field of PIR, private information retrieval.

This seems an obvious candidate for our
deniable-file-system-with-public-storage, but unfortunately in single
database PIR the database has to do more than serve up existing file
blocks, which makes it unsuitable for use in many cases.

[PIR could perhaps be used to create an untraceable messaging service on
the twitter-message-length scale. The problem here is scaling, because
in order to be oblivious the system has to look at each bit of data in
the system for each oblivious read. However it might be possible to do
some one-look-for-multiple-reads trickery.]

Around 1990 Oded Goldreich and later Rafael Ostrovsky came up with the
idea of oblivious RAM. This from Wikipedia: "A Turing machine (TM) is
said to be oblivious if for any two inputs of the same length, the
motions of the tape heads (=the pattern of reads and writes) remain the
same." gives some idea.

This was initially meant to be used for software protection, preventing
an attacker with access to RAM from learning about the operation of the
software by analysing RAM reads and writes with different inputs.

Note however that other methods, eg an examination of the single pattern
of reads and writes, are not defended against in the Wikipedia quote, so
in practice the motions of the tape heads are not identical but only
probabilistically indistinguishable.

An ORAM is actually better suited to input protection by obfuscation
than software protection.

Then came the great idea, why not use an ORAM (an ORAM is a program in a
TM or computer, not an algorithm) to connect between the private
workings of the user's computer, and public storage (eg the cloud) as
the RAM in the ORAM model, and thus create an observable
deniable/steganographic filing system.

Unfortunately I don't know of any ORAM OSFS which actually work in
practice. I haven't looked at the one which began this thread in detail
though.

Problems of bolting ORAMs onto computers include the fact that file
accesses are not all the same length or with the same temporal size
distribution, and they vary by user - (we would also like to obscure
which user is in play) - and thus it is very hard to set default
overheads. Also the assumptions for a theoretical ORAM may be very
different to the requirements of a practical file-existence-hiding program.

And probabilistic indistinguishability, a requirement for a secure ORAM,
is a slippery concept especially when eg the total quantity of data
available to an attacker is open-ended.

Peter Fairbrother