[wrong] Mozilla DeepSpeech stuff was Re: How to isolate/figure out whispers in audio clip?

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 02:34:50 PDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021, 5:22 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/5/21, Karl Semich <0xloem at gmail.com> wrote:
> > https://github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech
> >
> > DeepSpeech is an open source embedded (offline, on-device) speech-to-text
> > engine which can run in real time on devices ranging from a Raspberry Pi
> 4
> > to high power GPU servers.
>
> If this thing is already well trained on English,
> needing not much more than reading maybe ten
> pages or so worth of a training book that it already
> knows and that comes with the docs, to get it 90+%
> tuned to a specific voice... it could be very useful for
> people needing handsfree dictation, thought capture,
> transcription, voice message conversion, etc

It's a little more complicated than that but is still quite useful and in
use, for all the things you say.

What other tools are out there in freeware to do
> speech to text?

> Did Google ever release its voicemail convertor?

This stuff is all over.  All the tools I've found are based on reuse of
machine learning models using associated frameworks.

People have said that service sucks due to nature
> of needing to be trained for all callers, not to just one.
>
> Doubt any of them would be able to pull out whispers
> without it being trained on whispers for which there isn't
> much public corpus, and further tuned by a specific
> whisperer which is even rarer.

I'm surprised this information is new to you.

I haven't successfully installed and used one of these myself, and I could
really use a dictation service as my ability to direct my hands and such
and remember auditory information deteriorates.  But you can try them on
webportals and/or notebook services like collab.