oramfs - ORAM filesystem written in Rust

Travis Biehn tbiehn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 09:46:10 PDT 2021

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 6:32 AM Karl Semich <0xloem at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What are some motivations for a general oram fs?
>>
>> Travis
>

> Travis, I felt quite scared and confused and a little angry reading this question.  What led you to ask it?  What kind of plans are you hoping to inform from the answer?  Do you use encryption, or do anything to protect your privacy?
>
> Regarding access timing, like tor you could use cover traffic accessing your data, writing and reading to it constantly.  I wonder if there is something newer than ORAM that obscures access timing patterns.

Karl,
The last system I used that employed chaff packets was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASTE. WASTE had a setting that would
generate traffic constantly - there was a little discussion with the
Tor people around whether or not to employ a similar system, but they
decided against it.

The question is earnest, I literally don't know why you would want an
ORAM-FS for general personal use. The linked paper covers the ability
to recover information in a multi-user environment, and suggests an
ORAM storage to account for that - I get that. An ORAM-FS is
different.

What threats does the added benefit of using ORAM account for in a
file system? As in; I really enjoy encryption and privacy, and I'm
looking to get read up on when and where I should apply ORAM to a
filesystem.

-Travis

--
Twitter | LinkedIn | GitHub | TravisBiehn.com