1984: Thread

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 14:26:21 PDT 2021

 I wonder what their definition of "extremist" is?   Is it, 'somebody who disagrees with me!!!'

    On Friday, July 2, 2021, 12:48:26 PM PDT, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

 Facebook want's its users to Rat Each Other Out to the Central
Overlords and Spy Partners...

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/01/tech/facebook-extremist-notification/
Some Facebook users in the United States are being served a prompt
that asks if they are worried that someone they know might be becoming
an extremist. Others are being notified that they may have been
exposed to extremist content. It is all part of a test the social
media company is running that stems from its Redirect Initiative,
which aims to combat violent extremism, Andy Stone, a Facebook
spokesperson, told CNN. Screen shots of the alerts surfaced on social
media Thursday. "This test is part of our larger work to assess ways
to provide resources and support to people on Facebook who may have
engaged with or were exposed to extremist content, or may know someone
who is at risk," Stone said. "We are partnering with NGOs and academic
experts in this space and hope to have more to share in the future,"
Stone added. One of the alerts, a screen grab of which made the rounds
on social media Thursday, asks users, "Are you concerned that someone
you know is becoming an extremist?" "We care about preventing
extremism on Facebook," explained that alert, according to a screen
grab posted on social media. "Others in your situation have received
confidential support."