oramfs - ORAM filesystem written in Rust

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 17:01:33 PDT 2021

On 30/06/2021 22:55, coderman wrote:
> https://github.com/kudelskisecurity/oramfs
> <https://github.com/kudelskisecurity/oramfs>
>

>   oramfs - ORAM filesystem written in Rust
[..]
>   How does it work?

I read that bit, and I still don't know how it works. You don't explain
properly, just give a lot of irrelevant implementation stuff.

In all cases, but especially for explanations, keep it simple. And
answer the question, don't futz around - I don't want to know how you
implemented it (at least not here), I want to know how it works.

> That's it! Files written/read to/from the private directory are
> encrypted and access patterns are hidden to the FTP server.

Not as far as I can see. It seems simple to attack, 'oh look the
file(system) has been changed, the user wrote or deleted a file'
therefore he has accessed the filesystem.

Have you considered how to do secure deletion? It is very tricky.  If an
attacker can see the raw fs in a state which includes a particular file,
and the key is not deleted, then if he gets the undeleted key at any
future time he can read the file.

Peter Fairbrother