“Can the state withstand a full-blown Bitcoin offensive?”

Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 punks at tfwno.gf
Tue Jan 26 16:28:58 PST 2021

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 19:48:38 -0500
Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/25/21, Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 18:25:57 -0500
> > Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> you know what?  you're right.  bitcoin is waste of time and a
> >> dangerous secret weapon.  I wonder what people do to preserve exotic
> >> data without it.  i bet there are a lot of ways.
> >
> > 	bitcoin has at least one property that's unconditionally good : the supply
> > is limited and the supply can't be manipulated. That's a fundamental
> > requirement for any kind of 'money'.
>
> Okay, so Karl does things that people say make people hurt you ... and
> Punk says things that are in disagreement with what he's replying to
> ... this is incredibly hard to remember and act on, like really really
> hard to remember and act on ...

	That's kinda cryptic. I'm making the uncontroversial claim that bitcoin is supposed to be some kind of money...while you seem to believe that bitcoin is something else?

> > 	For the time being bitcoin is 'permisionless' and that's good as well.
> > HOWEVER given the weak anonimity of bitcoin, the permisionless/censorship
> > resistance aspect of it is kinda dubious in the long term. Also, ultimately,
> > bitcoin can't work as money if it's not 'fungible' (and fungibility requires
> > bitcoin to be untraceable/anonymous)
>
> i wonder if some silent actors are prolonging some of bitcoin's
> attributes behind different scenes

	That's cryptic too. What do you mean by "prolonging some of bitcoin's attributes" ?

> like, sending a lot of anti-cryptocurrency messaging prevents as much
> experienced cronyism from developing as rapidly, as people who trust
> the messaging avoid the currency.

	Not sure what you're getting at with that comment either.

> >> what people do to preserve exotic  data
> >
> > 	preserving 'exotic data' is not the purpose of bitcoin, sorry. Bitcoin is
> > (supposed to be) a cryptocurrency, not a file system.
>
> oh yeah and the point of fighting is to win, of course.

	except in cases where people fight for entertainment's sake? Or something.

> >> but also you know what?  i really don't care about privacy.
> >
> > 	well now you're talking =) If you don't care about privacy feel free to
> > publish your private keys.
>
> i do that already, juan.

	you want to sign messages but then publish the private key? What's the point of signing then? I don't think I follow...

> i did keep the one with coderman "private" but if coderman consents
> i'm interested in publishde it.  it has more value unpublished.  and i
> have a broken device with some old keys on it that i'd love to extract
> =/
>
> >> i need  cryptographic exchange to _reveal_ the _horrific_atrocities_ our
> >> leaders are stimulating.
> >
> > 	that's pretty misguided. We need surveillance for govcorp criminals and
> > privacy for common people. The opposite of what we have now.
>
> we agree there.
>
> immutable storage aids in surveilliing govcorp, because they can no
> longer rubberhose things away.

	yeah. But it can also be used to store bad stuff.

.

> >> funny whenever i do that i get more, notably among their immediate
> >> family.  i don't like having enemies, do you?
> >
> > 	some people deserve to be killed.
>
> such as people who kill.  that cycle's important, but that's not my
> culture.  it feels way more right to me to permanently prevent the
> problem, than to kill the people who participated in it.

	well, if you can prevent the criminals from being criminals that's great.

> the killing is just a way to make the ongoing issue more intense.
> things are already too intense.

	but things are completely one-sided. It's time to start killing *them*.

> what do you think of those of us, who feel like we are our enemies,
> and feel viscerally any harm we see ourselves causing?  this pattern
> is everywhere.

	Not sure what 'we are our enemies' means, because I'm not sure who 'we' is.

> >> Last year Bitcoin had over one  hundred times the return of a normal
> >> investment account.
> >
> > 	I'm familiar with the price of bitcoin since it was $0.10 or so. The
> > question is, what do you think the current high price of bitcoin proves?
>
> I don't remember my quote is gone ;P
>
> Okay, I scrolled up!  Yay!
>
> The point is that by manipulating culture to discourage cryptocurrency
> it is becoming a really big thing.  It is starting to break the global
> economy because the global economy feared it.

	I don't know. The global economy has always been rather broken. But if by 'breaking the economy' you mean decreasing the power of govcorp, then I don't think I'm seeing much evidence for that.

> > 	I don't like conflict per se. It's just that I don't ignore all the
> > conflict around me.
>
> Any thoughts on reducing vs amplifying it?

	conflict won't go away until humanity is exterminated, or tyrants are exterminated...The former seems more likely than the latter for the time being...